Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alright, someone explain this to me

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Alright, someone explain this to me

Why aren't the Reds interested too seriously in trading one of their outfielders? The bottom line is they have 4 quality OFs and Ryan Freel so if one of them was traded, it wouldn't be trouble to replace him. And doesn't anyone think that Dunn/Kearns/Pena would get something of value in return? Just seems like a stubborn stance by management to me to not trade one of them.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There willing to trade one of them but they are not going to trade one of them just to fix the problem of too much depth. Most of the rumors have been shit (Antonio Perez and Edwin Jackson for Dunn?!?) And Freel is just fine at 2B IMO.

Deal Casey. Deal Casey. Deal Casey. That is the mantra Dan O needs to be repeating because even if there was a taker for Griffey, I don't think he would accept it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yes, it would be amazing to trade one of those guys, if we were to get an unbelievable return. The only return that they will even talk about is a young #1 or #2 starter. Us fans can only completely agree with that as this is the biggest need for this team. If nobody wants to give up an ace, then they will not get one of our outfielders. And no team in need of an big bat will be ready to deal a big time starter as they are trying to make a playoff push. So, there is an alternative to all the madness. trade Casey. Put Dunn on 1B, and have Pena, Griffey, and Kearns in the outfield. Freel may be used as a starting 2B if Olmedo or Bergolla are not ready and could be the best utility player in the game otherwise.

So, bottom line is, I like the way it is going right now. We need an ace and will not settle for less.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    Why aren't the Reds interested too seriously in trading one of their outfielders? The bottom line is they have 4 quality OFs and Ryan Freel so if one of them was traded, it wouldn't be trouble to replace him. And doesn't anyone think that Dunn/Kearns/Pena would get something of value in return? Just seems like a stubborn stance by management to me to not trade one of them.
    Ryan Freel showed last night why he needs to be at 2b everyday, 5 steals in one game. He can play at 2b as often as he wishes and is one of the better leadoff guys in the league right now and gives the team a very valuable spark.

Like another said if a team is willing to match O Brien's price then a young OF will be traded. If not they will look toward the offseason probably. And also like another said trading Casey does much the same as trading an of plus saves a ton more money.

O'Brien appears to not want to trade just for the sake of trading, which is good.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    The comment about Freel wasn't supposed to be that they should trade him. I personally think he's a terrific player. I was just saying that he could play the outfield also if needed.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    The comment about Freel wasn't supposed to be that they should trade him. I personally think he's a terrific player. I was just saying that he could play the outfield also if needed.
    It was more in response that he needs to be the utility guy instead of the leadoff hitter everyday.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

I agree in principle that the Reds cannot afford the luxury of sitting on OF talent while the pitching staff is in such dire straits. From there the issue is twofold. Can you address your pitching problems by dealing these guys and if the answer is yes then the other question is are you better off dealing them now or in the off season?

The Reds' stance is that there's a greater pool of players available to be traded in November than July. Basically all decent players on decent teams are untouchable in July because those teams are gearing up for a playoff push. But a lot of those same guys are up for grabs in say November because of issues like arbitration and the fact a GM has several months to fill a need if he decides to trade a player in November.

If the Reds are offered a decent package of pitchers for one of our outfielders then I expect one of them to go by next year. I would even consider seeing two of them go if the return is right. But right now the Reds are limited to minor league prospects and their stance is if that's all you can offer us 'cause you're in a pennant race then the price will be high given the uncertain nature of "prospects."

MLB ERA
    Everyone keep an eye on Casey over the next couple of days, as he could be going to the Mets.

O'Brien continues to say "Negatory", but as I've been stating for a while now, he might just be sending mixed signals on purpose. I would be very surprised if the team is done dealing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I have to ask...why are so many of you down on Sean Casey and want him gone? Forgive me as I do not follow the Reds even semi-religously...I just looked at his stats and for his career hits over .300, doesn't k too much, gets some walks, gets his doubles, and plays good defense...

so what's the problem? Is it that you'd rather keep others than him? Or am I missing something?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Griffey is virtually un-moveable. We want to get rid of one of those big contracts in the hopes that we can sign Dunn to a LTC. Casey simply doesn't produce to what his large contract warrants. And moving him means that we can keep intact our young OF for at least a few years, allowing them all to start, and more importantly we free up the money to give Dunn.

Casey is one hell of a player and will be missed as a person. But we need to know our future and who it includes longterm.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I have to ask...why are so many of you down on Sean Casey and want him gone? Forgive me as I do not follow the Reds even semi-religously...I just looked at his stats and for his career hits over .300, doesn't k too much, gets some walks, gets his doubles, and plays good defense...

so what's the problem? Is it that you'd rather keep others than him? Or am I missing something?
    You're right. Casey sure does take a beating on the internet. As you can relate, our Reds are on a very limited budget and the issue is how much money Casey takes out of the budget. He is a good player and we don't need him to hit HRs, but we can't justify spending $8mill (his 2006 salary) on him with such glaring needs on the pitching staff.

I'd keep him around for $2 or 3 mill but at $8mill that money could be spent on keeping Adam Dunn or a couple starting pitchers.

One final note, in my opinion the discrepancy in treatment from the fans where Adam Dunn and Sean Casey are concerned is not justified.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

he simply makes too much money and not enough power production to be cost effective.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

For me only, This team isnt built to win now and Casey isnt a young pup. He is also on the books for i think 8.5 mil next year. That money would be better served going to tieing down Kearns and Dunn to Long Term Contracts, along with give us some flexibility to go after what we need this offseason. Plus this year Casey is hitting .300 but grounds into a TON of dps and isnt hitting for any power (only 3 this year I think).

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well I personally Casey is a great fit for this offense. he is in a lineup that already has a lot of power, so he makes up for that as a very good hitter. Like said, he does make the defensive plays as well. Thing is, it is just the money and the fact that we have to make room like mentioned before. But, i do not have a problem with the lack of power so much. There just is no doubt that the money for casey would be better fit to lock up Dunn.

Saying that, we still don't fix our pitching problem. This would keep us with our young outfielders, which is nice, but where would the needed arms come from? I think as Sea ray mentioned, we may need to deal one of those youngsters as well, and that may be in November vs. July.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I have a much bigger problem with Casey and his high amount of GIDP's, more so than his lack of homers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast