Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alright, someone explain this to me

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Here is how Casey ranks in comparison to the other qualified 1B in all of baseball (in total, including Casey, there are 21.)

BA: .308 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 4th)
    OBP: .363 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 10th)
    SLG: .397 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 18th)
    OPS: .759 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 16th)
    RC27: 4.57 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 19th)

And now, after looking at that last stat, here's the kicker:
    Salary comparison of the other 20 players he was ranked against.
    Todd Helton - 12.6Mil
    Albert Pujols - 11Mil
    Paul Konerko - 8.75Mil
    Darin Erstad - 8.25Mil
    Sean Casey - 7.8Mil
    Derek Lee - 7.66Mil
    Richie Sexson - 6.0Mil
    Raul Ibanez- 4.417Mil
    Carlos Delgado - 4.0Mil
    Mark Teixeira -3.625Mil
    Kevin Millar - 3.5Mil
    Eric Hinske -3.1Mil
    Rafael Palmerio - 3.0Mil
    Scott Hatteberg - 2.45Mil
    Nick Johnson - 1.45Mil
    Daryle Ward - 950k
    Lyle Overbay - 446K
    Ben Broussard - 365k
    Justin Morneau - 345K
    Chad Tracy - 335k
    Casey is a great guy and a hell of a teammate but given what he costs, he's not worth it. And I think a big problem this season has been his much increased G/F ratio, currently at 2.05! Which obviously leads all MLB 1B by a large margin. So I can see why he has way more GIDPs, on pace for less doubles and so on. The guy can't lift the ball anymore it seems. Could his shoulder be acting up or what?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    nor should you make a deal if you're not goint to get anything "worth it"...I'm just saying trading Casey only isn't the answer...at some point 1 of the 3 OF should be traded to be able to get some good pitch because I don't think Casey will get you that or enough of it in return.
    I really don't expect a lot for Casey. Moving Casey (or Griffey) simply allows us to free up cash and to look to the future. One area our farm does have reasonable depth is for outfielders so I do hope that we can market one of our bats for a good young pitcher in the future. I do agree with you there.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Here is how Casey ranks in comparison to the other qualified 1B in all of baseball (in total, including Casey, there are 21.)

BA: .308 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 4th)
    OBP: .363 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 10th)
    SLG: .397 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 18th)
    OPS: .759 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 16th)
    RC27: 4.57 (MLB Rank among fellow 1B, 19th)

And now, after looking at that last stat, here's the kicker:
    Salary comparison of the other 20 players he was ranked against.

Casey is a great guy and a hell of a teammate but given what he costs, he's not worth it. And I think a big problem this season has been his much increased G/F ratio, currently at 2.05! Which obviously leads all MLB 1B by a large margin. So I can see why he has way more GIDPs, on pace for less doubles and so on. The guy can't lift the ball anymore it seems. Could his shoulder be acting up or what?
    All the more reason for other teams a) not to want him or b) give very little in return...that was my bottom line; that trading him and him alone should not be the only significant move (whether it be now or in the offseason)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Providence, if you poll the Reds fans here, I doubt you will find many who think we will get a big return. We are merely hoping to play on another GM's stupidity, like Omar Minaya for instance. I will go on record stating that I am fine with trading Casey for a Mike Piazza road jersey if they take his contract.

I think Mission's got it right. It isn't that Casey doesn't contribute it's just that this franchise can't afford the procetag for those contributions. Looks to me from that salary graphic that Casey is really worth about $3mill.

Personally I would consider trading Casey and Pena if enough pitching could be secured. I'd put Dunn at 1B and Denorfia in LF until Jr can no longer do CF. If that doesn't work out I'd put Bergolla at 2B and Freel in the OF. This sort of setup would really help the defense and team speed. I think that would be an exciting team to watch and this assumes that we'd get pitching in return...Pena should be worth one starter and Casey one reliever. With the cutting of Pena and Casey from the payroll you should be able to get another pitcher or two from the middle tier of FAs available.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    nor should you make a deal if you're not goint to get anything "worth it"...I'm just saying trading Casey only isn't the answer...at some point 1 of the 3 OF should be traded to be able to get some good pitching because I don't think Casey will get you that or enough of it in return.
    Why trade one of the big 3 when we havent seen what the last "fire sale" yields. We have yet to see what those guys could do. Harang, Valentine, and Claussen are the only ones that we have gotten to see how they will fare and we still have a bunch of unknowns. It would be great if we could trade for an ace for Dunn but who is going to do that in the middle of the pennant race?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123