Thread: The future is now for Reds' Encarnacion

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The future is now for Reds' Encarnacion

The future is now for Reds' Encarnacion

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

LOS ANGELES - At 22, Edwin Encarnacion looks like he's ready to be a good major-league third baseman.

Encarnacion had his first three-hit game in Tuesday's 7-4 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers. He went into Wednesday's game 4-for-11 at the plate and perfect defensively since taking the baton from Joe Randa on Saturday.

"We do think he's ready now," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

How good can Encarnacion be? Randa said Encarnacion has the look of a future All-Star.

Reds manager Jerry Narron sees Encarnacion hitting 20 to 30 home runs to go along with a high average.

But Reds fans who know the history of Brandon Larson know potential does not always equal production.

"This game is all about getting better and making adjustments," Narron said. "Everybody levels off at some point. Some people do it at 12 years old. Someone like Barry Bonds never levels off."

Few players level off at 22. But Encarnacion is about to be tested.

Teams will develop scouting reports on him quickly. He'll be playing in front of big crowds on a daily basis.

"The big thing is to continue to work, continue to make adjustments, continue to get better," Narron said. "That's going to show what kind of player he's going to be. He has all the ability in the world. It's a matter of whether he can make adjustments."

This is Encarnacion's second go-round with the Reds. They gave him a 10-game taste from June 24-July 5.

"The first time around, we were trying to get his feet wet," O'Brien said.

Narron began to see Encarnacion adjust during that time.

"When he first got here - I don't think he was overwhelmed - but you could tell he was in a different environment, a different experience," Narron said. "That affected his game. He fit in the last couple of days he was here."

That bit of experience was key.

"I'm more confident this time," Encarnacion said. "I know I can do it."
    Click here for the rest

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    I think the kid is ready. He is an absoulte STUD!!!! I hope he kicks ass and he will win the rookie of the year next year.

Remeber he needs to qaulify for a certain amount of at-bats to be a rookie. I think like 150 or it could be game with 106 or something like that..... I can't remeber.

MLB ERA
    He's not gonna qualify for Rookie of the Year next year unless he gets hurt within the next couple weeks and gets sent down for the rest of the year, which we don't want to happen. He's going to have even more service time than David Wright did last year, I think.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh well, I would rather him be up with the Reds and get some development in. Takes precedence over a Rookie of the Year award no doubt. But I know it would be nice if he got the honor.