Thread: Germano wins PCL pitcher of the week

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Germano wins PCL pitcher of the week

Pacific Coast League
    Justin Germano, Portland
    1 G, 1 GS, 1 CG, 1 SHO, 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 0 SV
    Justin Germano had an eventful week. The 6-foot-2 right-hander pitched his first complete-game shutout of the season for Portland on Tuesday night. He was then shipped to Cincinnati, along with Travis Chick, for infielder Joe Randa, and promptly added to the Reds' 40-man roster. Considered one of San Diego's top young pitchers, Germano punctuated his ascent through the Padres' system by facing just four batters over the minimum in shutting out Sacramento, 2-0. The 22-year-old limited the River Cats to three singles, a double and two walks while striking out five. After beginning the season 0-4 with a 5.28 ERA, he went 7-2 with a 3.15 ERA for the Beavers in his final 13 starts.
    Click here for the article

it certainly looks like we got this guy as he is putting it together. I look forward to seeing if ruhle can actually develop some of these guys into major league stars.

It's hard to get excited about these types of players right now, because of guys like claussen. He was the yankees best pitching prospect, lead AAA in k's, and then comes up here and is generally mediocre. He's not having a really bad year at all, but we certainly don't need any more guys like him.

Eventually we are going to have to develop a guy for the top of the rotation. Maybe not a true ace, but someone better than harang. someone like john patterson.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree Wally. I am hoping that Bailey is that guy. But he is not coming along so quick to say that he will be ready to dominate in A ball next season. Bailey is sitting at a 4.67 ERA with a little over 1 K/9 for Dayton this year. That is not exactly dominating, but he is still young. At this rate, he may be still 4 years away from reaching the MLB level, then he will have to learn how to suceed there which will take at least a half of a season. Travis Wood is doing his part in rookie ball so far with a dominating 0.00 ERA and 31 Ks through 17 IP. If he keeps this up, he may be able to move up quicker than Bailey even.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's a difference between Dayton and Rookie Ball though. Also, how has Bailey not been dominating? I know his ERA is a bit up there but he has one of the better K/9's in the Midwest League with having 79 strikeouts in 71.1 IP. If he didn't have the minor injury to keep him from pitching (and break up the groove he was getitng into early on) he might of still led the league in strikeouts.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I forgot about that injury. So maybe you are right. But I think if we are looking for an ace, we may want a guy that can throw an ERA around 3 in the lower levels. The true ace on the MLB level has an ERA 3.90 or less. He has the strikeout ability, but I think if he is allowing 4 earned runs in A ball, he will have an obviously harder time as he moves up. Thats where development comes in to play, and no doubt he will develop. But can he develop to have a smaller ERA on the MLB level, than what he has done in the A level? I think he can, but it will take longer then we would like. That is why I said he may still be 4 years away.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You really can't take stats for a minor leaguer that seriously, especially one that young. If Bailey is struggling at 22,23 then we should worry. But I have seen Bailey pitch and there is no question that he has the biggest ceiling of any pitching prospect we have had in recent memory. This is his first full professional season as well.

He has posted strong strikeout numbers while limiting batters to a decent BAA, both which indicate good stuff. As he matures, his stuff should improve as will his control. High school prospects are just like this as a whole, they have their up's and their down's. He may be a while like you point out, but the most important thing to do is just to take our time with him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree that we have to take our time. Maybe I am being too impatient with him. I have not seen him pitch and I am sure he looks good. But maybe I am too hard on him with the numbers. I know Bailey will be good for us, I just hope he becomes the ace that we desperately need.