Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweep puts reds in first

AAA ERA

sweep puts reds in first

Sweep puts Reds in first in Central
    Starter Harang sharp; team's first 3-0 start since 1990
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

Wily Mo Pena's second-inning solo homer stretched the early Reds' lead to 3-0. (Al Behrman/AP)

CINCINNATI -- No late-game heroics or clutch home runs were needed from the Reds as they looked to sweep the Mets on Thursday afternoon.

With Aaron Harang mowing through the Mets order, a big finish wasn't necessary in a cool 6-1 victory in front of 16,048 at Great American Ball Park.

Instead, the Reds received a big start from the right-handed Harang, who was stellar over the course of 6 1/3 innings, allowing just one hit and three walks while striking out five. His only enemy was a high pitch count, which eventually drove him out of the game after he threw 96 pitches, 61 of which were for strikes.

Harang (1-0) left with a 3-0 lead the Reds had built up against left-hander Kazuhisa Ishii. The home team scored two runs off Ishii in the first, one of which was unearned, and added another in the second on Wily Mo Pena's leadoff home run.

The Reds added to their lead against Ishii (0-1) with a three-run seventh, in which pinch-hitter D'Angelo Jimenez hit a two-run double and Ryan Freel followed with an RBI single to make the score 6-0.

That was enough for the Reds to cruise to their first 3-0 start since the 1990 team began the year 9-0 en route to a World Series championship.

MLB ERA
    Very impressive. I know we have a long way to go, but just seeing the comparisons to 1990 is amazing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am very happy to get this kind of start to the season. You said it CRF "very impressive" is exactly it. A lot of things are clicking and a lot of things are also going our way. I couldn't have predicted this and felt comfortable with my prediction. So I am by far amazed with the success so far. Next up Houston and Clemens!

MLB ERA
    we always own clemens...remember last season when we shelled him for 10 and handed him his first unofficial loss?

i'm going to the saturday/sunday games...i'll have reports/pictures by next week
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Heck ya I can't wait for that ghetto! I just hope we can continue our success against him especially with how things have been going so far this season.

AAA ERA
    were facing clemens, backe and pettite right?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think its Oswalt not Pettite

AAA ERA
    o well i really cant wati to see how ortiz does.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    First of all, congratulations on getting to first place so far.

Second of all, snap back to reality because you're about to play an actual big league team. (Just hatin on the Mets)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL! Well thanks....I guess browntown. We will see what the Stros have and show them whatthe Reds are all about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    First of all, congratulations on getting to first place so far.

Second of all, snap back to reality because you're about to play an actual big league team. (Just hatin on the Mets)

Hey, we just faced Pedro and Glavine and beat them.

We definitely will be tested this weekend, but hopefully we can beat Clemens and Oswalt too.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AA ERA
    I dont think Glavine can be classified in that group. He didnt seem to have it yesterday. Whenever he brought the "heat" he couldnt place it. While he always seemed to have the Reds number, he doesnt anymore. While he still maybe a top pitcher, hes not upper tier anymore. The Reds have their hands full this weekend, but I like how we are playing. I think it will be a fun series to watch. The next stretch of games against the division are a good early season hurdle for the Reds.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    It wasn't so much beating Pedro as beating Looper.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    It wasn't so much beating Pedro as beating Looper.
    He was great during ST.

Seriously though... Pedro was awesome, but Wilson gave up the same number of runs as him in the same number of innings, and our bullpen was ultimately just a little better than Looper.

And volzok, I still think Glavine can be classified that way. He had a 3.60 ERA last year.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    And volzok, I still think Glavine can be classified that way. He had a 3.60 ERA last year.
    We will see. I still think he is a good pitcher, just not a top tier pitcher anymore. He doesnt have the command that he used too. Either way though, I am really looking forward to this weekend. Hopefully the bats will be alive in Houston.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast