Thread: Encarnacion installed at third

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Encarnacion installed at third

Encarnacion installed at third
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

The Edwin Encarnacion Era - and that's exactly what his predecessor expects it to be - got under way Sunday in Cincinnati.

The 22-year-old rookie got the first of what everyone in the organization expect to be many starts at third base a day after Joe Randa was traded to San Diego for a pair of pitching prospects.

Encarnacion went 1-for-3 Sunday against the Brewers, and his fourth-inning double might have been the hardest-hit ball off Milwaukee starter Doug Davis all day, including Austin Kearns' home run earlier in the inning.

The young Dominican also made a couple of nice plays in the field, starting a double play that helped Luke Hudson get out of a second-inning jam and snaring a soft liner off the bat of Carlos Lee to end the third.

More than anything, Encarnacion looked comfortable out there, and that can be attributed at least in part to his two-week cameo in the majors earlier this summer.

"Before he left, I think he realized that he could play here," said Reds manager Jerry Narron. "I think that's the biggest question when guys first come to the big leagues, is if they can play at this level. He conducted himself in a way that I thought by the time he left he knew (he could do it)."

Narron isn't alone in that opinion. Randa made a point to praise Encarnacion on Saturday before boarding a plane to join his new team. The two had a moment in the clubhouse shortly before Randa departed, exchanging well-wishes as Randa told the young player he'd be watching his progress from afar.

"I enjoyed my time being around him," said Randa. "I think he's going to be a very productive major league third baseman. To me, he's got All-Star-caliber written all over him. I enjoyed my time (with him) because he listened, he asked questions, and that's the first step of a young player wanting to step up his game. I hope he does really well and I think he's going to be here for a long time."

Narron made it clear Sunday that Encarnacion would be the team's regular third baseman going forward, though the youngster may get more days off than Randa did. As long as both Ryan Freel and Rich Aurilia remain on the roster, they'll get a regular spin or two at third base as Encarnacion continues to develop.

No one questions the long-term picture at the position, though. The job is Encarnacion's for the foreseeable future.

"It's going to be fun watching him," said Narron. "He's going to make some mistakes, but he's going to do some things really well for us. I really believe that he's going to be a very consistent major league player."
    Click here for the rest of Reds Notes

MLB ERA
    One might think that if Weber's neck isn't healthy enough to sit on a plane and fall asleep, then he's not healthy enough to pitch effectively.

I hated to lose Randa but Encarnacion showed potential and seems to have the respect of Randa (which says a lot to me). Looking forward to see him develope into the solid 3B for the Reds.