Thread: Kearns and Dunn want to stick around?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Kearns and Dunn want to stick around?

Is it time to tie up young talent?
    Team could copy Indians' strategy

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

The Cleveland Indians were able to make their run of success in the mid-1990s by locking up their young stars to multiyear contracts early in their careers.

The current Indians are using the same strategy. They signed catcher Victor Martinez to a five-year, $15.5 million contract Tuesday - a year before he was eligible for arbitration.

Martinez's signing came three days after the Oakland A's signed pitcher Rich Harden, a budding star, to a four-year, $9 million deal.

Will the Reds follow the same formula with their young stars?

"It's something we're looking at," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns were arbitration-eligible this year. Both ended up signing one-year contracts - Dunn for $4 million this year, Kearns for $950,000.

Both would be amenable to signing long-term. But, if that is going to happen, it will happen after the season.

O'Brien said the Reds won't discuss contracts during the season.

"We think it would be a distraction," he said.

Dunn agrees with that policy.

"It's not something I want to worry about now," he said. "I just want to take care of playing this year. But it's something I'd like to do eventually."

Kearns feels the same way.

"I'd definitely like to," he said, "especially with the direction the club is headed in."

For long-term deals to work both sides have to be willing to give up something.

"It works at certain times," O'Brien said. "When you can get an appropriate tradeoff in terms of dollars for the security of a long-term contract."

The players are willing to play for less in their final arbitration years for the long-term security.

Dunn, for example, would likely at least to double his salary through arbitration if he puts up similar numbers this year to what he put up last year.

But the contract Martinez signed calls for a salary of $3 million in 2007, which would have been his second arbitration year. Martinez hit .283 with 23 homers and 108 RBI last year. If he continues to play at that level he could have earned many times the $3 million in 2007.

But, if his numbers fall off or he's hurt, he still gets the $15.5 million.

"It's something we'll look at not only with Adam and Austin, but with other young players as well," O'Brien said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...70393/1071/spt

MLB ERA
    Good to see they both want to stay!!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep I already had the thought in my mind that they did want to stay. But I am glad to be reassured of their thinking. Also great to see that O'Brien looks to sign them long term as well.

AAA ERA
    its a shame that we will keep both of these guys, and have to give up on Wily Mo, but that is obviously were it is heading, if there was only a way to get rid of Jr

Awesome. Lock both these guys up for atleast 4-5 years.

MLB ERA
    4-5 years? Hell, lock 'em up for 6 or 7 at least. There's no denying they have ridiculous ability and potential, and they're a worthy risk.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Hopefully we can lock these guys up, then I can breathe a sigh of relief. I would hate to see my boy Dunn not in a Red's uniform.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hey welcome CincyReds#1! I agree with you too, losing Dunn would not feel right. It would be weird to have this team without Dunn apart of it all.

MLB ERA
    welcome cincyreds#1
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA
    were you cr#1 at the old boards?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Yes, I was CincyReds#1 at the old boards. I am the one who wants to become a beatwriter/announcer for the Reds. I can re-introduce myself if you all would like.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I remember you, but feel free to reintroduce in case people haven't seen you before. And let us know how that is going by the way!

MLB ERA
    Welcome back CincyReds#1.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.