Thread: Baseball Insider: Larkin likely headed back to shortstop

MLB ERA

Baseball Insider: Larkin likely headed back to shortstop

Larkin likely headed back to shortstop

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Anybody who thinks Jim Bowden's plea to Barry Larkin is a publicity stunt doesn't know Bowden. The Washington Nationals general manager is as serious as an oil shortage.

Bowden wants the 41-year-old Larkin to oil up his creaky bones and come out of retirement. He made his request by saying, "Please, Barry, come back and play shortstop for us and help us get to the playoffs."

It was Bowden who, as GM of the Cincinnati Reds, proclaimed Larkin the team's captain and put a tiny wishbone 'C' on his uniform front.

Washington's shortstop, Cristian Guzman, was hitting .189 when an exasperated Bowden put in his plea to Larkin, a 12-time All-Star and one-time MVP during his time with the Reds — until an acrimonious separation after last season.

Larkin could hit .200 when he's 50.

Larkin, a special advisor to Bowden, tossed the laundry onto his family.

"He asked me to help the team, and I told him earlier in the season that if he were in dire straits that I would do what I could do," Larkin said. "I can't answer right now if I'll play. I've got three kids I have to talk to, three young bosses, and one wife (Lisa) — the real boss — I have to talk to and get their blessings.

"I told Jim I definitely want to spend time (in Washington) and help out as a player or as someone that could hope out in the clubhouse, on the bench," he said.

Larkin, a physical fitness stickler, is in shape, and the guess is that he'll be playing shortstop and batting second for the Nationals when the Cincinnati Reds hit Washington in August.

Some runs, please?

That's Cleveland pitcher Kevin Millwood shouting from Terminal Tower, "Why do my teammates hate me? I'm lovable."

The Indians have been shut out in three of Millwood's last four starts. He is 3-9 with a 3.34 ERA, seventh in the league. In his nine losses, the Indians have averaged 1.3 runs a game. He has lost games by 2-1, 3-2, 2-1, 4-0, 1-0.

And get this. Millwood's only three wins came when he gave up no runs — a 0.00 ERA over 19 innings.

His mantra: "A run, a run, my kingdom for a run."

Dustin down

Springfield's Dustin Hermanson is 22-for-23 in save opportunities with a 1.50 ERA for the White Sox, but there is consternation in Chicago. He is having spasms and has pitched only twice since July 5.

There is concern he might not be available for the postseason, and GM Kenny Williams is making calls about acquiring a closer.

Maybe he can get Rick White from Pittsburgh — a Kenton Ridge graduate replacing a Kenton Ridge graduate.

A few sacrifices

The word sacrifice isn't used much around Arlington, Texas, home of the Rangers. They have only two sacrifice bunts this season, 14 shy of the record for the fewest in a season (1998 Detroit Tigers, 2000 New York Yankees).

And the Rangers have only 12 sacrifice flies, 11 shy of the fewest for a season set by the 1967 California Angels.

Few sacrifice flies? Well, Adam Dunn is from Texas, isn't he? He has one in the last three seasons.

One: a lonely number

They like drama in Minnesota. Each of the Twins' first seven games after the All-Star break was decided by one run, and Minnesota leads the majors with 39 one-run games. They've won 20.

"They are gut-wrenching, and it gets old," said Twins outfielder Jacque Jones.

Hey, you could be in Pittsburgh, Jacque. The Pirates went 1-7 in their first eight games after the All-Star break and were outscored, 58-15. You want gut-wrenching? Ask Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon.

Big boys park

There's a challenge out there for Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena, Reds who hit home runs measured in mileage, not footage.

Only 46 homers have been hit in Washington's RFK Stadium and only one to center field (Oakland's Bobby Crosby).

Only 20 of those 46 have been hit by visiting teams. Nevertheless, Cincinnati's Eric Milton is requesting a chance to start all three games from Aug. 23 to Aug. 25.

Eight men out

How do the San Diego Padres do it? They are comfortably leading the National League West despite the fact manager Bruce Bochy has been able to put his starting eight on the field eight times this season.

The eighth time was Wednesday in New York when Mark Loretta and Phil Nevin came off the DL.

Oh yeah, the Padres are 8-0 with their starting eight.

The elite nine

Chicago's Greg Maddux, not a noted strikeout artist, has 2,998 for his career. When he gets two more, he will be only the ninth pitcher in history with 300 wins and 3,000 whiffs.

The elite eight: Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Don Sutton, Gaylord Perry, Walter Johnson and Phil Niekro. All but Clemens are in the Hall of Fame, and Clemens is a dead, solid, perfect cinch to make it on the first ballot five years after he retires.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    lol honestly bowden is going insane. how can a 41 year old Barry Larkin play more baseball? another question how much better will he be compared to Christian Guzman?

MLB ERA
    Didn't you mean to say that Bowden is going MORE insane than ever?

Really though, this part is scary: "Please, Barry, come back and play shortstop for us and help us get to the playoffs."

I just hope he doesn't end up playing and then getting seriously hurt or struggling, which would not only hurt him physically, but could hurt his HOF chances.

Bowden is one of the most self-absorbed individuals in the world.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I don't think you're aware of how much Guzman sucks. Larkin was very solid for us last year. His problem has been health, not ability, and he won't be asked to play everyday for the Nats.

MLB ERA
    Guzman is just AWFUL. He has a .227 OBP and .273 OPS, which makes for a jaw-dropping .500 OPS! That is ridiculously bad. Pure insanity.

He has a mere 12 Runs Created on the year, and 1.32 RC/27, meaning 9 Guzman's would create about 1.32 Runs/Game. He is ridiculously awful.

For comparison mode, Esteban Loaiza(despite in fewer AB) has a better RC/27. Yup, Guzman has been WORSE than Loaiza this year, athough one could certainly argue small sample size.

There is more proof he's awful though. He has an Isolated Power of 0.85, which pretty much shows he's a pure singles hitter(0.80 and below is considered pretty much exclusively a singles hitter).

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    I don't think you're aware of how much Guzman sucks. Larkin was very solid for us last year. His problem has been health, not ability, and he won't be asked to play everyday for the Nats.
    Even when he's healthy Larkin had severely limited range at SS and his bat continued to slow.

How many folks have played SS at 41? How many have been asked to do it starting in August with no Spring Training? I think Bowden is asking for something Herculian from Barry and I don't think they're making the playoffs with or without Barry.

It would kill me to see Barry in another uniform

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by theFatty
    It would kill me to see Barry in another uniform
    qft
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Barry at 60 can outplay Guzman.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I can outplay Guzman. I have no defensive skills. I have no offensive skills. I'm very slow. I can outplay Guzman.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Let's make Bowden a deal for Rich Aurilia that he can't refuse...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I can outplay Guzman. I have no defensive skills. I have no offensive skills. I'm very slow. I can outplay Guzman.

Man, you suck. But not as much as Christian Guzman. I'm sure you'd create more than just over 1 run per game.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I would absolutely hate to see Larkin in a Nationals uniform, but he could defininitely help the team out. I mean he did hit .282 and .289 at the ages of 39 and 40 and his calculated range was only slightly lower than the league average fielding range and he did that with a fielding percent above the league average. Provided he stayed in baseball shape during his time away, he would no doubt help the team