Thread: Randa on looming trade: "I'd think the Reds have to do something soon"

MLB ERA

Randa on looming trade: "I'd think the Reds have to do something soon"

San Diego jumps into Randa sweepstakes

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The latest entrant into The Joe Randa Sweepstakes is the San Diego Padres, in the market for a third baseman.

The Padres, clinging precariously to first place in the National League West, have given up on third baseman Sean Burroughs.

The Reds are searching for young pitchers and the Padres might loosen their grip on left-hander Sean Thompson from Class AA Mobile and right-hander Jared Wells from Class A Lake Elsinore.

Thompson, who is only 5-foot-11 and 160 pounds, is ranked the Padres eighth-best prospect by Baseball America. He went 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA in six starts at Lake Elsinore before being promoted on May 10 to Mobile, where he is 3-4 with a 4.33 ERA in 12 starts. Wells is 11-3 with a 3.44 ERA in 19 starts.

Randa continues to wait, wondering when he'll be told to pack.

"Do I like San Diego?" he said. "I know they have a great Sea World for my family. I know they have a good team with good players and they should win that division. I'd think the Reds have to do something soon."

The deadline is a week from Sunday and, ironically, the Reds are in San Diego that day.

"Should I take all my personal stuff on that trip?" Randa asked with a laugh. "Or do you think the Reds will let me fly home with them on the charter to retrieve my stuff."

A San Diego scout watched the Reds last weekend against the Colorado Rockies and Randa said, "I wish they had been watching me a week ago."

Randa is hitting .284 with 12 homers and 45 RBIs, but entered Friday's game 2-for-25 (.080).

He turned it around Friday night with a home run and two doubles in five at-bats.

"My old manager, Tony Muser (Kansas City) is with the Padres as a coach now, so he knows about me," Randa said.

Randa, 35, is a one-year rent-a-player, signed to a one-year $2.1 million deal to occupy third base until Edwin Encarnacion is ready.

He's ready.

Encarnacion is on a 10-game hitting streak at Class AAA Louisville, going 18-for-44 (.409) with three homers and eight RBIs.

Hancock ready

After the way Josh Hancock threw in a simulated game Friday, the Reds soon may have another pitcher, either to plug into the rotation or to use out of the bullpen.

Hancock threw 50 pitches, consistently hitting 89 miles an hour, while pitching against Jacob Cruz, Ray Olmedo and Ryan Freel.

"Looks to me like he can't be far from ready," said Cruz. "He threw a lot of strikes and the ball had movement."

Said Hancock, "I threw all out with full intensity. I'm ready to face hitters and I can get big-league hitters out. But they'll probably send me to Dayton or Chattanooga on rehab and I'll get shelled."

Hancock will throw in the bullpen Sunday, then await what the Reds decide.

He's out there

Bullpenner Kent Mercker had gone four days without pitching entering Friday's game and a scout asked, "Is there anything wrong with Mercker?"

Just watch the bullpen area.

"I've had 13 or 14 (false alarms, warming up without getting into a game) in the last week and got into two games," said Mercker. "I don't think I've ever gone four days in a row without pitching since I became a relief pitcher.

"I really wanted to pitch against Chicago, too," he said, referring to the team that let him go after last season. "I warmed up Wednesday and had the best stuff I've ever had, ever. Even catcher Jason LaRue said, 'Hey, dude, wow.' "

Mercker got into Friday's game and the rust flew — one inning, three runs, three hits.

A Parris visit

A blast from the recent past, pitcher Steve Parris, visited the clubhouse Friday and was startled to find only one player remaining from his days with the Reds, Sean Casey.

He last pitched for the Reds in 2000 — and only Casey remains? — and was the starting pitcher in 1999 for the one-game playoff that the Reds lost to the Mets, 5-0, for the wild card berth.

Parris coaches a traveling 11-year-old team, the Will County (Ill.) Wild and has his team in town to play the Cincinnati Fling, "A team I found on the internet and called to see if they would play us," he said.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The Padres just traded Nevin to the O's for Sidney Ponson. They obviously need another bat now, so a Randa trade could be looming on the horizon. Stay tuned.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, I figured the same thing. They are definitely in need of Randa now. And Randa knowing that something will happen soon. DanO must be working something now. Come on DanO, get some good arms!

MLB ERA
    Good luck! Good, solid player and a extremely high quality/classy individual!

I hope you get to the playoffs as you deserve Joe!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, I am officially a padres fan for the playoffs now. Randa deserves to go as he has been really solid for us this season.

AAA ERA
    i agree redsrbetter....padres are my second fav. team now....until randa leaves