Thread: Griffey on possibly being traded: "It's a business decision and not personal"

MLB ERA

Griffey on possibly being traded: "It's a business decision and not personal"

Reds rotate roster, but no Griffey talk
    Junior: Logic says I'm the one to deal

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | If there is any talk about the Cincinnati Reds trading Ken Griffey Jr. before the July 31 nonwaivers trade deadline, 16 scouts from 15 teams watching the Reds-Cubs series haven't heard a whisper.

They all say their teams haven't mentioned his name.

Griffey said before Wednesday's game against the Cubs that nobody on the Reds has said anything to him or his agent, Brian Goldberg, about a trade.

As a 10-and-5 guy, Griffey must give his permission for any trade.

"I've been thrown under the bus before," he said. "Two years ago I was headed for San Diego if Phil Nevin hadn't invoked his no-trade clause."

The only reason Griffey talked about a trade is because he is constantly asked.

"I'm more worried about my kids and the upcoming Pop Warner football season," he said. "It is not worth worrying about being traded."

If it would happen, Griffey says he wouldn't take it personally, even though he came to the Reds in 2000 for a nine-year, $116.5 million deal that was under his market value.

"I can control it, so it isn't out of my control, but I'd look at it as a decision the Reds would make and it would be to a team that wants me," he said. "It's a business decision and not personal."

Asked if he wanted to stay in Cincinnati, Griffey said, "I won't answer that. Them trying to trade me is out of my control."

A subtle hint at how he feels about playing in Cincinnati is that he loves Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns and he said, "They should not trade either one of those guys. That's the future. I'd be the one that made more sense to trade."

When Kearns was recalled from Class AAA Louisville on Wednesday, Griffey shouted in the clubhouse, "The tight-knit unit is back."

About his status, Griffey added, "My main concern, my only concern, is this team and playing nine innings for it tonight. Whatever happens, happens. Whatever doesn't happen, doesn't happen. It's not my concern."

Griffey said if the Reds wanted to trade him, he would only agree to a few teams, to a team with a chance to play in the postseason to give him an opportunity to win his first World Series ring.

And the scouts say nothing is going to happen.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

There's lots of buzz these days on a Griffey trade but I think the release of Kelly gives us a clue that Griffey isn't going anywhere. Right now Griffey is the only true CF on our roster. If Griffey leaves you have to think they'd want Kelly around to back up a gimpy Freel in CF

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    There's lots of buzz these days on a Griffey trade but I think the release of Kelly gives us a clue that Griffey isn't going anywhere. Right now Griffey is the only true CF on our roster. If Griffey leaves you have to think they'd want Kelly around to back up a gimpy Freel in CF
    You could always go with an outfield of Dunn in LF, Kearns in CF, and Pena in RF. Kearns played CF I think a couple years ago while Griffey was on the DL and we still had Jose Guillen's cannon in RF.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Kearns can play CF just like Burnitz played there yesterday and the Astros have often used Bergman there as well but that's still not a good fit. Kearns doesn't have the footspeed to man a good CF. He's more a stopgap