Thread: Narron says Lopez might hit third soon

MLB ERA

Narron says Lopez might hit third soon

Weathers gets the hook from injury for first time

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | David Weathers began pitching professionally in 1988 and his uniform front since then has contained the names of 20 cities.

"And not once, not ever, have I ever walked off the mound without the manager taking me out," he said.

It happened Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs when the Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher was forced out with a lower back strain.

"I felt like trash walking off the mound," he said. "My son was sitting in the stands thinking, 'My dad is a pansy.' "

Weathers says his injury isn't serious and he'll be back Friday or Saturday after pitching in four of the previous five games.

"My back has bothered me ever since I came back (from the All-Star break), but it was tolerable, I could pitch, and knew, 'I can get through this,' " Weathers added. "Amazingly, on Tuesday I felt nothing and I said, 'Sweet, that's all behind me.' "

In the ninth inning he gave up a one-out walk and a home run to Aramis Ramirez, then on a pitch to Todd Hollandsworth it grabbed him, "And hurt worse than it had any previous time. That's the product of being 35. I've never pulled a muscle and they say you can't pull fat. I found out you can."

Freel returns

Ryan Freel not only was back, he was in the lineup playing second base Wednesday.

Freel was activated off the disabled list (sore second toe on his left foot) after playing five games on rehab at Class AA Chattanooga.

"I was fine the day I left (for Chattanooga), but it was good to get some work done," he said. "I got to test it pretty good.

"I tagged up and scored on a sacrifice fly," he added. "The first two times I got hits, I got picked off base. And I got caught in a rundown. The third time I got on I took a softball lead. ... I stayed on the base.

"You forget what it is like in the minors and when you go there you say, 'Wow, I don't miss this at all.' But I was able to see pitches and get my eyes adjusted. Now I get to see Mr. Kerry Wood."

Machado, Kelly claimed

With the activation of Ryan Freel and the recall of outfielder Austin Kearns, the Reds placed shortstop Anderson Machado and outfielder Kenny Kelly on waivers.

Both were claimed — Machado by Colorado and Kelly by Washington.

"I'm happy that both were able to stay in the majors," said manager Jerry Narron. "With the construction of our team, Machado is behind Felipe Lopez at shortstop and Kelly was an extra outfielder. I hope both become Hall of Famers. I just like to see players stay in the majors.

"The Rockies needs a shortstop who could catch the ball with the injury to Clint Barmes, and Kelly probably will be an extra outfielder for Washington," Narron said.

Lopez a three-hitter?

Ryan Freel batted leadoff Wednesday, his normal spot in the batting order. During his absence, Felipe Lopez batted leadoff and did well, but is back in the No. 2 spot, his usual place.

Narron says, "There might be a No. 3 spot in his future. I like him at second because he takes pitches and works the count, and if Freel gets on he gives him a chance to steal bases."

Lopez said he feels comfortable "first or second, but given a choice I'd take second. That's where I've batted most in my career and it is where I feel comfortable."

And third?

"I'd like that," he said. "I wouldn't mind at all. I like RBIs. I love RBIs."

The shaven one

Outfielder Wily Mo Pena showed up Wednesday nearly bald, his long dreadlocks gone.

"I took it all off," he said. "Just too long. Too hot? Naw, it's hotter than this in the Dominican. And the team didn't tell me to do it. I just decided it was too long."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    The three spot not being a black hole?

Unpossible.

MLB ERA
    I wonder what the lineup would look like then? If he really wants Lopez hitting 3rd, I'd do something like this:

Freel
    Dunn
    Lopez
    Griffey
    Kearns/Pena
    Randa
    Casey
    LaRue

Until Randa is traded, I could see him doing this though:
    Freel
    Randa
    Lopez
    Griffey
    Casey
    Dunn
    Kearns/Pena
    LaRue
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    I'd prefer something like this...

Against righties...

Freel
    Randa
    Lopez
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Casey
    Valentin/LaRue

And against lefties...

Freel
    Randa
    Lopez
    Griffey
    Wily Mo
    Casey
    Dunn
    Valentin/LaRue

MLB ERA
    I prefer Dunn higher in the order than 5th, especially since Randa is slumping lately.

MLB ERA
    Ideally, I'd like to have Dunn hitting 3rd. His average would see a big rise once he started getting pitches to hit because he actually has protection behind him. Lopez is perfect in the two spot, but he'd be good in the three spot as well. I'd rather have Dunn 5th than 2nd, so I went with Randa at the two spot. I'd still prefer to see Felipe stay there and just have Casey get out of the three.

Freel's OBP is .405 and Dunn's is .388. That would mean more times somebody is on base for Lopez. I would want it Freel, Dunn, Lopez, Griffey.

MLB ERA
    Id love to see
    1 Freel
    2 Dunn
    3 Lopez
    4 Griffey
    5 Pena/Kearns
    6 Randa/Casey
    7 Randa/Casey
    8 LaRue

If you think he was getting good oppertunities with Rich Aurilia behind him and the pitcher in front, just wait til hes sandwhich between two of the big bats.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes