Thread: Narron: Encarnacion will succeed next time

MLB ERA

Narron: Encarnacion will succeed next time

Narron: Encarnacion will succeed next time

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | If Cincinnati Reds third baseman Joe Randa is traded, as expected, 22-year-old Edwin Encarnacion will inherit third base.

Is he ready? Is he able? Manager Jerry Narron believes it, but he also believes Encarnacion should be patient and should be diligent in preparing himself for a major-league career.

It appears Encarnacion is doing just that. He had three hits Monday for Class AAA Louisville and is on a seven-game hitting streak (13-for-30, .433, three homers, seven RBIs).

"Edwin is going to play well when he gets back here, and he has earned the chance to be here at some point," Narron said. "Right now, all he should worry about in Triple-A is to improve and get better and not worry about when he'll back in the majors.

"And when he gets here, he'll make mistakes, like all young players, but he is going to be a good major-league player.

"We're fortunate to have Randa so we don't have to rush Edwin," Narron added. "Joe has had a great year for us, been very, very consistent."

Asked how much longer he might have Randa's input, Narron smiled and said, "He's here today. We go day-by-day."

While Minnesota has backed down on its interest in Randa since signing Bret Boone, there are teams with interest. One might be Cleveland, a team rich with young pitching. The Tribe could move Aaron Boone to second base to make room for Randa at third.

Freel running freely

Ryan Freel will return soon from his rehab stint at Class AA Chattanooga. He played nine innings three times and 10 innings once in the last four Lookouts games.

"Freel is feeling great, and he is pain-free in that toe (second toe on his left foot)," trainer Mark Mann said.

Said Narron, "The big thing for him is to be healthy. He should be here in a few days, and if he is feeling any pain, there is nothing he is admitting to."

With Freel's return, the status of second baseman Rich Aurilia is likely to change. In 35 games since coming off the disabled list, Aurilia is hitting .291 with six homers and 24 RBIs.

A problem?

"It's a problem I'll gladly take because Ryan Freel makes us a better team, especially off the bench," Narron said. "We'll be able to rest some people, and Freel will play second base, third base, left field, center field and right field."

Coffey on the run

It is a long way from the Reds' bullpen to the pitcher's mound, and the next time Todd Coffey is called into a game, watch closely. Don't blink or you might miss him.

Coffey sprints full speed to the mound, as if he is three blocks from Starbucks and it is two minutes to closing.

"Always did that in the minors," he said. "I toned it down a bit when I made the majors, but I'm cranking it up again. It gets my legs loose, gets the adrenaline flowing and gets me mentally prepared. The quicker I get there and (get) the job done, the quicker I get to sit down."

After a short pause, Coffey smiled and said, "Plus, if I run to the mound it doesn't give the manager time to change his mind and say, 'Not you, I want a different guy.' "

Romano says no

While it isn't true that Jason Romano's name showed up today on eBay as, "Outfielder available," he is available to any team that wants him.

Romano was designated for assignment by the Reds on Thursday and had the option of accepting an assignment to Louisville for the second time this season.

The first time, he said yes. This time, he said no and took free agency. Last year, he had one homer and three RBIs in 26 at-bats. This year, he had one homer and three RBIs in 30 at-bats.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    DanO's pet is gone!

I figured Freel did not have the starting job at 2B. I have to say that Aurilia has honestly been very solid IMO though. But I wish Freel had it locked. Only thing I could hope for now is an Aurilia trade.

I noticed that Coffey sprint the other night. It looks awesome. Makes his own entrance special. I just wish it would really help him on the mound. He is another one that has been struggling. Still getting his feet wet I guess.

MLB ERA
    Yay for lack of Romano. Yay for Freel being back. Yay for Aurilia hopefully not playing every day. And everytime Coffey runs to the mound, I feel the ground shake.