Thread: 'The Kid' makes a comeback

AA ERA

'The Kid' makes a comeback

By Paul Daugherty
    Enquirer staff writer

On Friday night, he gave us a bittersweet glimpse of the way he was. Ken Griffey Jr. lashed a line-drive home run to right field and threw out a runner at the plate with a textbook-perfect throw. The homer had the trajectory of a 2-iron, just like the ones Griffey claims he hits farther than his Orlando, Fla., neighbor, Tiger Woods. The throw was pure Hall of Fame talent and instinct, a laser just up the third base line.

In the middle of a season that's playing like a bad movie, Griffey is giving us a cameo of greatness. He could be Comeback Player of the Year. Nothing would be more deserving. Or ironic.

We've spent a lot of time questioning Griffey in the five years he has been here. Out of frustration or suspicion or both, we've pondered his desire, his work ethic, his commitment to and respect for his unsurpassed talent.

Well, forget that.

The previous Red to work so hard to come back from so much was rewarded with Comeback Player of the Year. That was Eric Davis, in 1996. Davis largely rewrote his Reds legacy that year, and he retired as one of Cincinnati's favorite baseball sons. Griffey is following E.D.'s flight path.

In case you don't recall Griffey's gruesome injury of August and the experimental, bionic-man surgery that ensued, here's the recap. (Don't read it if you're eating.
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    Another gem from Daugherty.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    daugherty is prolly my second fav collumnist, besides hal of course
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Daugherty is a great guy as well as a great writer i meet him once. He was at a Wrestling tournament watching his son and their team was sitting next to my team and my dad and him were talking for most of the meet when me or his son wasnt wrestling. Griffey hit a Home in each of the games of the last series and is now only with in 8 HRs of the league leader. That great because he Hit only 1 in all of April and that was the last day of the month.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Griffey is playing well. There may be some trade value with him. No major injury this year has made a huge inpact on him and the numbers he is producing. The hr today was just long enough to get out of the park. His swing is looking as good as it ever has.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL