Thread: Were the reds close to swinging for the fences?

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Were the reds close to swinging for the fences?

We know that the Reds swung and missed on the trade front on Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn and Ubaldo Jimenez. But is there a chance they were working on something much bigger?

A reader tipped me a while back that he has a friend in baseball who told him the Reds were talking to the Blue Jays about a trade Jose Bautista-for-Joey Votto trade. The Reds would have had to kick in a prospect as well.

I get tips like that from time to time. I usually dismiss them. But the fact that the Blue Jays sent a scout to Dayton to specifically watch Daniel Corcino, probably the Reds best pitching prospect, tells me they were talking trade with the Reds.

Votto-for-Bautista makes sense on several levels for the Reds:

–It opens a spot for Yonder Alonso.

–It fills left field with about as good bat as you could possibly hope for. Bautista is hitting .324 with 31 home runs and 71 RBI.

–Bautista is signed through 2015 at $14 million per year. He has an option for 2016 at the same number. Votto is cheaper next year at $9.5 million, but he makes $17 million in 2013 after which he’s a free agent. And he made clear when he signed his current contract that he was only interested in a three-year deal.

The Blue Jays, of course, would get their hometown hero — a player who could sell tickets.

The Reds would never confirm that they were talking about a trade like that. And there may be nothing to it. But it’s certainly interesting to consider.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Were the reds close to swinging for the fences?

I still don't get why the Reds have not tried Votto in leftfield. He would be a much better fit than Yonder Alonso, who clearly has struggled.

As for the deal, I really do not know how I would have felt about that one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Votto is a good first baseman so I can see why they would mess with the MVP to make way for a rookie. I am amazed that the Reds haven't traded Alonso the past two seasons.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 08-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Votto is a good first baseman so I can see why they wouldn't mess with the MVP to make way for a rookie. I am amazed that the Reds haven't traded Alonso the past two seasons.
    Alonso needs to be in the lineup everyday in LF and allowed to attempt to hit his way into some AL team's (Tampa) heart. Or Votto polished up for a super, ultra, mega head turning extravaganza blockbuster.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Until yesterday's game I was all for Alonso getting regular playing time. But in the 3 run second inning for the pirates Alonso should have made a first out catch and. Couldn't get there. I absolutely LOVE his bat.... But his glove needs lots of work.... And with no wheels makes it even worse.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I still don't get why the Reds have not tried Votto in leftfield. He would be a much better fit than Yonder Alonso, who clearly has struggled.As for the deal, I really do not know how I would have felt about that one.
    Cause you don't mess around with MVP candidates I for 1 think it would have been a good deal, Votto's next contract is going to be based off Pujols and could come in at 18-20 mil per, so Bautista at 16 and Alonso at 1st might bs cheaper