Thread: Reds looking at James Shields

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rays Reds looking at James Shields

Buster Olney reports the Rays have had scouts checking out the Cincinnati minor leagues lately. The Rays are still open to trading some of their bigger names such as Shields and BJ Upton, as well as lesser tier players like Damon and Casey Kotchman.

One wonders if the Reds will even be buyers in the next few weeks. It's still too early to rule them out of the mix, even though it hasn't been looking peachy keen.

James Shields has had a big turnaround this season, making the All-Star team, and of all the veterans on the team, his performance would probably be the most crucial for a late rush by Tampa Bay. But the Rays really don't buy into Hail Marys and fairy-tale finishes, and the fact is that Shields's trade value may never be higher than it is right now.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds looking at James Shields

Alonso and Mesoraco is a good start.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

sooner or later tampa needs to keep a vet. price, shields, hellickson, niemann and cobb are a nasty rotation for years... best in the league arguably

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They rave about that Moore guy in the minors. They have starting pitching coming out of their ass.
    Ted

Rookie ERA

Shields and Damon respond to trade rumors...

Both veterans were quick to dismiss any speculation about their future in the midst of a crucial four-game series against the New York Yankees.
    “This is part of the year where you have to deal with (rumors) as a player,” Shields said. “It happens every single year, and there are guys who get mentioned. If I’m one of those guys, so be it.”
    “The guys that were rumored to come to us over the last couple years? We would’ve had an All-Star team.”

“I feel like I’m a Ray, and I’ve been a Ray for my whole career,” Shields said. “I feel really good here… My goal is to make the playoffs with the Rays right now, and that’s what I’m going to do.”
    Damon has repeatedly gone on record saying he wants to finish not only this season, but his career, in Tampa Bay.
    “I love it here, and it’s been probably one of my most favorite places to play,” the 37-year-old reiterated Wednesday.
    “Do I still want to finish my career here? Yes,” Damon said, before demonstrating his full grasp of what could play out in the coming weeks, and even beyond. “I also understand that this team needs to maybe get somebody in return that could help them in the future, and try to resign me after this year, too.”
    “Things don’t necessarily have to happen now. You do have the waiver stuff that happens through August,” Damon continued.

Shields is spot on with the rumors of who was supposed to be coming here over the years, we'd have won 3 WS by now. Not saying it can't or won't happen but I have seen this club make no moves when they have glaring problems and make moves signaling they are throwing in the white towel.

I do disagree a bit with the Rays not believing in "Hail Mary's or Fairytale endings" because they have had two seasons of them....they just don't believe in them obviously if they are not in first place.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Damon can always return if he's traded, though. He's the perfect veteran for a spunky and quirky team like the Rays. And it would be cool if he finished his career with Tampa, cause it would likely mean he's also hit #3,000 as a Ray.
    Ted