Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fightin' Zack Cozarts vs the hobbled Ryan Brauns!

MLB ERA

Re: Fightin' Zack Cozarts vs the hobbled Ryan Brauns!

It's the pitching....

Another brutal loss for a Wayne Krivsky pitcher. Bryan Price is still the pitching coach. All is not well.

Also, the Pirates appear to be becoming an incredible franchise. Looks like Pittsburgh may be adding another top-notch team to join the Steelers.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

3 hits, 2 walks, and a blown save... that's a hell of a way to "earn" a a paycheck.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    MANY MANY MORE SWEAR WORDS
    Letting you know I'm going to steal that!

MLB ERA

Krivsky left a mess of an offense and an overrated pitching staff behind - after spending years neglecting the MLB team for "prospects." Castellini won't spend the money to improve the pitching so Jocketty had to cobble together a better offense while using that dangerous "hope" word for all of these starters with "potential."

Unfortuantely, Castellini agreed to lock up all of these guys but won't budge on his insistence on "maintaining budget." I have to say, I expected more from this owner after his big talk.

His actions speak louder than words and he consistently raises his middle finger to the fans. Some may buy his "improvements around the ballpark, more fan-friendly events, a better atmoshphere, etc." Not me.

The bottom line is strikingly similar to Lindner - PROFIT.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    Letting you know I'm going to steal that!
    you're welcome

CRF, it comes down to loyalty, it comes down to the Mike Brown school of managing players, it comes down to players that dont want to win.

Loyalty: Renteria, cut him as soon as yesterday, its obvious he's not the player of the WS last year. Stubbs, frankly should hit 4th, 5th or 6th. his OBS almost equals his AVG. But keep running him to the leadoff spot. Then Gomes, absolutely lost at the plate most days.

Mike Brown school of managing: Again, we're paying the players so they MUST play.

Finally I see no heart on this team. They just blew a 4 run and 2 run lead in the same game, 2 days after blowing an 8 run lead.... How do you do this. Have pride in your team. No one on this team seems dejected after a loss. That starts with the manager. Dusty preaches, "Forget about yesterday, just win today" Thats great to a point. But its not OK to lose. Remember that loss and play with a chip on your shoulder. Yes you can't change the game yesterday, but you can sure change the game today by using the motivation.

MLB ERA

Renteria is not even close to the team's biggest problem.

Biggest problems so far this year: Volquez, Bailey (either unhealthy/inconsistent at best), Arroyo not the same as usual thus far, Wood (who I still like more than Volquez and possibly Bailey) failing to reach last year's numbers.

Also, guys such as Ondrusek/Bray and others have given up a pile of runs recently.

Offensively the team is still very solid overall - despite inconsistency - particularly from guys such as Bruce/Stubbs and less production by guys such as Rolen/Votto overall at times. SS is certainly a mess and I'm unconvinced Cozart will fix this problem. They need to SPEND MONEY to fill the holes.

As I said, Krivsky's strategy was to "build within." This is OK if you actually produce the type of pitching talent a team needs to win games CONSISTENTLY. See: Rays, Tampa Bay.

But Krivsky tried to balance the "build within" and "win now." Although he added a few nice pieces, he generally left an unkempt mess (AND FAR TOO OFTEN OVERPAID MESS!!!) at at the major league level. And sadly, his "stockpiled" minor league system produced guys perhaps good enough to make a team but not the true difference-makers the team needs (as a general rule).

Ultimately this all falls back on Castellini, though, who simply hasn't shown the "burning desire" to win he espoused so forcefully when he assumed ownership of the team.

Even an accomplished GM such as Jocketty can only do so much when the owner provides so little margin for error and no wiggle room in the budget. Sure, he can tinker with the fringes of the roster, adding players such as Cozart.

And some may say he should cash in on these minor league "prospects" for better major league talent. But just maybe these guys were overrated from the start and Jocketty deduced is best course of action right now is to hold still and hope the team's economic fortunes improve or Castellini shows a little heart??

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Renteria is not even close to the team's biggest problem.

Biggest problems so far this year: Volquez, Bailey (either unhealthy/inconsistent at best), Arroyo not the same as usual thus far, Wood (who I still like more than Volquez and possibly Bailey) failing to reach last year's numbers.

Also, guys such as Ondrusek/Bray and others have given up a pile of runs recently.
    Volquez was heavily relied on and failed, Bailey has never completed a decent season let alone month, Arroyo is like this every year, he pitches a gem them gives up 10 runs in one inning. Wood is the most depressing because he was really touted as a potential Ace...

The entire Bullpen has been a mess, I don't feel comfortable when any of them are on the mound.

Offensively the team is still very solid overall - despite inconsistency - particularly from guys such as Bruce/Stubbs and less production by guys such as Rolen/Votto overall at times. SS is certainly a mess and I'm unconvinced Cozart will fix this problem. They need to SPEND MONEY to fill the holes.

As I said, Krivsky's strategy was to "build within." This is OK if you actually produce the type of pitching talent a team needs to win games CONSISTENTLY. See: Rays, Tampa Bay.
    Last season they got the 2 out big hits, you got used to it, expected it even. This season they constantly fail. Votto has been reduced to singles every game and no one gets on infront of him or behind him to knock him in.

Yes, the Rays have had pitching coming out of their ears, and other small market teams have done the same, Florida in years past, even to a point San Diego last year. But who do you blame the reds short comings on? Scouting? Front office? Or the pitching coach? I hate to say it, I miss Don Gullet. He got the most out of washed up players.

But Krivsky tried to balance the "build within" and "win now." Although he added a few nice pieces, he generally left an unkempt mess (AND FAR TOO OFTEN OVERPAID MESS!!!) at at the major league level. And sadly, his "stockpiled" minor league system produced guys perhaps good enough to make a team but not the true difference-makers the team needs (as a general rule).

Ultimately this all falls back on Castellini, though, who simply hasn't shown the "burning desire" to win he espoused so forcefully when he assumed ownership of the team.

Even an accomplished GM such as Jocketty can only do so much when the owner provides so little margin for error and no wiggle room in the budget. Sure, he can tinker with the fringes of the roster, adding players such as Cozart.

And some may say he should cash in on these minor league "prospects" for better major league talent. But just maybe these guys were overrated from the start and Jocketty deduced is best course of action right now is to hold still and hope the team's economic fortunes improve or Castellini shows a little heart??
    Castellini's "We're just not going to lose anymore" speech is still playing over and over in my head. They did a great job last year. But then were swept. They seem to think that was the Meca. They did it, no one will notice as the team falls to ruins. They'll fall back on, Well its too hard to keep a small market team going.

Over paid is a great word for a lot of players.... Bronson should not me making (i think) $13.5 mil this year. Rolen, though good and can still produce. Is making too much. And thank the lord Volquez said no to his multi-year deal or this would be a train wreck.

I wonder mostly what their plans are for Alonso. He's absolutely tearing the cover off the ball... Votto's not going anywhere (for 3 years, I don't see him as a loyal guy, I think he's going to bolt in FA in 3 years) so are they just hoping to keep him down in AAA till then? or trade him for a good player at the deadline?

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    Yes, the Rays have had pitching coming out of their ears,

All home grown, much more successful and CHEAPER than anyone they ever "bought" in the past.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds really showing the 2011 Reds in full tonight...

Scott Rolen ("All-Star") 0-4 9 LOB
    Fred Lewis 1- 3, 1 RBI, 6 LOB

Amazing. Bases loaded with 1 out in 2 innings and no runs scored none ended by double play....

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Chapman, great play to pick off hart... Twisted his ankle... They leave him in... 4 straight pitches in the dirt and no one in the bullpen... These managers piss me off!

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Much to the Dismay of Zito.... I'm excited to see how Dontelle does today...

The fans have been clamering for 2 moves in the last month. Send Volquez out/Call up Dontelle. and Play Zack Cozart.

Cozart has done VERY well thus far.... C'Mon Willis!

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow, what a game already....
    Reds score one in the first but leave the bases loaded
    Brewers score one in the first but leave the bases loaded....

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

So far great second inning by the reds....
    Single By Hernandez, bunt, throw runner out at second... ground ball, throw runner out at second...

BASE HIT.... Stubbs inexplicably stops at second! WTF!

Votto SHATTERS HIS BAT... a shard almost hits Rickie Weeks, BASE HIT RUN SCORES!

Phillips then promptly flies out....

REDS 2
    Brewers 1

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Pitcher Randy Wolf Homers.... but it went JUST foul... so close they had to go look at it on replay

0-2 count to weeks... then 4 straight balls. Gomez Doubles down the line Weeks Scores... this is going to be a LOOONG game.....

reds 2 Brewers 2

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Dusty baker gets a blown save.

Explitive delete!
    Explitive delete!
    Explitive delete!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast