Thread: Back In First; Cardinals Swept; Carpenter Defeated; Joy

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Back In First; Cardinals Swept; Carpenter Defeated; Joy

Amazing to think about how far this team has come in just a few seasons. The statements above would have been virtually impossible to even consider associating with the Reds. The weekend wasn't perfect, be it the errors or some shaky relief work, but the results are hard to argue with.

This club is as healthy as it has been and hopefully they can go on a serious run here. Go Reds!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Back In First; Cardinals Swept; Carpenter Defeated; Joy

Reds should have kept Adam Dunn

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ha. Dunn is heating up though, great start to May for him (and a lot of other previously-chilled White Sox bats.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn who? Drew Stubbs, bitches.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Mission: feel free to move my post from the rumblings thread to this one.

But anyway, good points. The pitching is still cringe-worthy at times - particularly Volquez (when will Leake or LeCure replace him?) and a couple of bullpen arms from time to time. Otherwise everything is looking better than earlier in the year.

MLB ERA

Plenty of players stepped up during this series. Some players had some hits in key situations more than at any time I can recall in the past (see: Phillips) and guys such as Bruce, Hernandez, Fred Lewis, Renteria, Rolen, Stubbs and others all had big moments and hits. Cueto looked sensational for much of his game. Arroyo was Arroyo (not his best stuff but kept them in it). Wood also seemed a bit off but battled and made some big pitches to big hitters.

The Renteria AB during Friday's game ahead of Votto during the 10th may be the unsung moment of the series. He also had the big double earlier in that game after failing early in a similar situation and falling behind in the count before the big knock.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I really miss Renteria!!

MLB ERA

He just has that "winning feel" to him.

To continue my discussion from the rumblings thread, though, it appears Phillips' comments about the Cardinals last year were even more accurate than imaginable. Perhaps not the best line to let spill, particularly when he did, but he certainly hasn't been lost in the "evidence collection" department since the original statement.

And unless I hallucinated, ESPN seemed to be "pro-Cards" when reviewing the incidents near the end of the game. They'll probably edit in a new version of game commentary for the later editions but I get the impression they were lambasting Cordero for yelling at the Cards bench after the game - without providing proper context.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Cardinals are just a different team right now and given some of the injuries and drama around them, I can't blame them for that chemistry/dynamic changing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What drama is around the Cardinals right now?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    The Cardinals are just a different team right now and given some of the injuries and drama around them, I can't blame them for that chemistry/dynamic changing.
    It seems Mozeliak must not value defense a lot - or if he does - he hasn't proven adept at addressing those shortcomings yet.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    He just has that "winning feel" to him.

To continue my discussion from the rumblings thread, though, it appears Phillips' comments about the Cardinals last year were even more accurate than imaginable. Perhaps not the best line to let spill, particularly when he did, but he certainly hasn't been lost in the "evidence collection" department since the original statement.

And unless I hallucinated, ESPN seemed to be "pro-Cards" when reviewing the incidents near the end of the game. They'll probably edit in a new version of game commentary for the later editions but I get the impression they were lambasting Cordero for yelling at the Cards bench after the game - without providing proper context.
    Instead of Duncan running his mouth, blaming Cordero for "intentionally" hitting Pujols. For whatever reason. With the game on the line. Brilliant deduction on Duncan's part.

/sarcasm
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    What drama is around the Cardinals right now?
    Nothing currently, was speaking to some of the events of the past year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Nothing currently, was speaking to some of the events of the past year.
    Yeah I was about to say there really hasn't been any drama with this team. They have problems but no drama. I don't see the Cardinals having a chemistry problem either. They were in first place til they went to Cincy. Theriot has been horrible offensively but really hasn't cost them many runs and has provided more offense to make up for it. He is head and shoulders better than Brendan Ryan last year. Ryan was a guy that players on the Cards did not like. The biggest problem the Cards face is who is going to close the 9th. They keep going with one guy til they mess up then switch to another. They need someone to step it up or they will be in trouble all year. They already have too many blown saves.

As for Cordero yelling at the Cardinals dugout, not smart. He just got someone plunked in the next time they face each other.