Thread: The Reigning MVP

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds The Reigning MVP

Joey Votto is now hitting .392/.505/.649 with 4 HR and 12 RBI. Is it possible to do even better than he did last year? He has looked amazing at the plate and is riding a confidence I haven't seen in Cincy in a long time. It's fun to see him play and I am hoping for a Triple Crown race again!

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: The Reigning MVP

Well it's definitely possible that he could be in the talk again, but if he is the only one in our offense that is producing (not saying he is, but our offense looks shoddy at best) things could get a little dicey. No doubt he is one of the elite 1B in the league right now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I wouldn't say the only one. Phillips is having a great start as well. I like how Dusty put Phillips in the cleanup spot with Rolen gone.

MLB ERA

Oh yeah, the Reds' offense sure looks "shoddy" at best.

I mean, they aren't scoring any runs compared to other teams in the league - to support the brilliant starting pitching.

The "other board" continues to seem most negative about the offense; I take the opposite approach.

Speaking of Votto, despite his great start so far, he has seemed to fail when the team needs big hits in tight end of game situations thus far. Hard to say too much with the overall numbers he has but he hasn't picked up the offense in the clutch enough for my tastes; especially not to the level I would expect out of an MVP.

Let's hope the soon-to-be healthy starters return and impact the team positively or otherwise they could be out of this race soon. Right now the Cards are on pace for about 95 wins and continue to perform both offensively and on the mound. Tonight Descalso and Punto got it done when needed with four big RBI. The rotation of Lohse, Westbrook, Kyle M., Carpenter and Garcia also continues to shine.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Freese gets the big hit to tie for the Cards today; Laird completes the latest victory with a clutch hit. Cards currently on pace for 96 wins and rising quickly. That Westbrook, Lohse, Kyle M, Carpenter, Garcia rotation continues to roll along. Westbrook with another gem today - despite 3 BB and only 1 K. Why do Reds pitchers rarely finish with solid lines when the BB/K ratio is on the wrong end? The Reds' defense should be better than the Cards' defense but all of those balls in play for Westbrook were converted into outs.

Plus, though the Reds are currently tied for second in MLB in runs scored - the Cards clock in at No. 1. So far, the Cards' offense has been the best in either league. Impressive hitting from Theriot, Rasmus, Pujols, Holliday, Berkman, Freese, Molina and Descalso, along with others. This is what happens when you SPEND on hitting (see: Holliday and Berkman).

Unless they beat one of the best pitchers in baseball tonight the team will slip to three games out and dropping quickly.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.