Thread: The Rolen Effect

MLB ERA

The Rolen Effect

Listening to Lance McAlister, I heard him mention the Reds' record this year when Rolen doesn't start (0-2 so far). The team is (8-2) when he does start.

Last year they were 21 games over .500 when he started and one under .500 (18-19) when he didn't start.

What thoughts do people have on the correlation between the recordsand Rolen starting/not starting?

Personally I feel his impact goes beyond his offensive contributions, extending to of course his defense but also his presence on the lineup. Seems many of the younger hitters approach AB better overall when he is in there and he provides some measure of "comfort" to the team at the plate and in the field.

Any discussion points about this topic?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Rolen Effect

Its too few games for me to say whether Rolen is THE factor, as I have to imagine several of those games last year were the rest the big starters kind of Sunday games. Of course that is speculative though. However I think there is no question that the Reds are a better team with Rolen then without. I think Rolen has simply changed the dynamics of the lineup, providing a quality AB time in and time out, with a presence that many younger players are starting to match, perhaps by learning by example.

MLB ERA

Of course I mention this and then they lose last night with him and are up big today without him. Go figure...LOL.

Although I think Charlie Morton's pitching right now had something to do with this happening.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Wow, the vitriol toward Leake and our offense on the game thread on the "other board" is astounding to me.

Yet other than a few posters they seem to drool about Volquez despite his inconsistencies. Hmm. :roll eyes: