Page 72 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1817

Thread: Random Reds Rumblings

MLB ERA
    Something's not quite right in Cincinnati

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

BALTIMORE -- Call it a classic case of assault and flattery.

With a touch of pragmatism eventually thrown in for good measure.

In a 26-20 victory Sunday that gave Baltimore a 6-2 record and opened up a commanding two-game divisional lead at the midway point of the season, Ravens defenders spent most of the afternoon bullying the Cincinnati Bengals and much of the postgame interview session bragging on their AFC North rivals.

Carson Palmer and the Bengals can't quite figure out what's gone wrong this season.

Keep anyone talking long enough, though, and there's a good chance that rhetoric will invariably turn to reality. And as Baltimore free safety Ed Reed reviewed Sunday's results and took a mental inventory of where things stand in the division, he acknowledged the defending AFC North champions are in trouble.

"They're still the Bengals, and they've still got that explosive potential, you know?" said Reed, who scored a first-quarter touchdown. "I mean, you saw at the end, when they made it a one-score game, and we had to keep telling ourselves they were just one big play from stealing this [game] from us. But the bottom line is, we hung on, and they took the loss.

"So, yeah, they're hurting, man. They're hurting right now."

The operative term emanating from Baltimore's locker room, starting with coach Brian Billick down through his entire roster it seemed, was huge. It was hard to find a Ravens coach, player or team official who didn't somehow find an excuse to invoke the H-word. So just how big was the second straight win with Billick calling the plays in place of deposed offensive coordinator Jim Fassel?

Well, it's probably a tad premature to start tossing dirt on the Bengals' playoff chances, but it might not be a bad idea to get out the shovels.

After a 3-0 start, Cincinnati has lost four of its past five, the lone victory a three-point win against Carolina on Oct. 22 in which the Panthers squandered at least a late tie when Jake Delhomme threw a red-zone interception. There is clearly something missing from the Bengals, especially in terms of how Cincinnati's offense compares to its high-octane ratings of a year ago. And while there is a half-season in which to get back to the form of 2005, Sunday didn't offer much positive reinforcement.

Cincinnati's Chris Perry fumbled the opening kickoff at the Bengals' 34-yard line, and the Ravens cashed in six plays later on Jamal Lewis' two-yard touchdown run. On the ensuing series, Carson Palmer overthrew wide receiver Chad Johnson on a deep hook route, and Samari Rolle intercepted. The veteran cornerback returned the pickoff 24 yards before lateraling to Reed, who dashed the final 25 yards for the Ravens' second touchdown in 93 seconds.

Less than five minutes into the game, it was the last time Baltimore would get into the end zone, with Matt Stover's four field goals (43, 25, 36 and 35 yards) accounting for the rest of the scoring. But Cincinnati could never get beyond its disastrous start, and now there have to be doubts about whether the youthful and oftentimes overly petulant Bengals will be able to overcome a month-long stretch of poor play.

Publicly, at least, Bengals players spoke with confidence about moving beyond their current 4-4 record.

"We are better than Baltimore," said wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who seems to have supplanted Johnson as Palmer's go-to receiver. "We know we're better than Baltimore, and they know it. We've got better players than they do."

If that's indeed the case, they'd better start playing better.

Houshmandzadeh is a terrific receiver, arguably one of most underrated players in the entire league, but like a lot of his teammates, he is often overcome by hubris. For whatever reason, the Bengals conveniently lose track of the fact that, under coach Marvin Lewis, they've never won more than a division title. Sure, the catastrophic knee injury suffered by Palmer on the opening series of Cincinnati's wild-card loss to Pittsburgh last January might have deprived the Bengals of advancing deep into the playoffs. But this is a club that clings to the absence of Palmer like a drowning man clings to a hunk of driftwood and believes that a Super Bowl engagement was its birthright had Steelers defensive lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen not crashed into the left knee of its quarterback.

On a fourth-and-4 play from the Cincinnati 30 with 1:59 remaining, Palmer threw for Houshmandzadeh, who had nickel cornerback Ronnie Prude draped all over him. No completion. No flag. No comeback for the Bengals. Houshmandzadeh took off his helmet and banged it to the ground, drawing a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"It shows a lack of class," Marvin Lewis said of the play, "and right at that point, we don't need it. So, we just have to hold on. Those things get you out of kilter and we can't let it happen."

The Bengals are a team, though, out of kilter in many ways right now.

Palmer completed just 12 of 26 passes for 195 yards, with one touchdown, two interceptions and a passer rating of 52.6. Sacked twice, he was still under pressure much of the afternoon by a Baltimore defense that cleverly varied its fronts and blitz angles. As much as Palmer and his teammates try to deny it, the Bengals quarterback is just a little off with his accuracy, sometimes by a matter of only inches. But those inches must seem like yards right now to a sputtering Cincinnati offense that managed 275 yards and had just one third-down conversion in 10 tries.

Said Reed: "It just seems that, while they still want to be a deep-ball team, they've been more patient this year. I don't know why. I'll let them try to explain it. But it seems like they're trying to put more drives together this year rather than going for the quick score."

Defensively, the Bengals are still battling their old twin bugaboo, the inability to stop the run or get off the field on third down. On Sunday, it was more of the latter. Jamal Lewis, who averaged 123.3 rushing yards and scored eight touchdowns in nine previous games against Cincinnati, was held to 72 yards on 24 attempts. But quarterback Steve McNair completed 21 of 31 passes for 245 yards and no interceptions, and managed the game nicely.

In the first half, McNair converted on five of six third-down plays on which the Ravens needed six yards or more to move the chains. On those plays, McNair was 5 of 6 for 80 yards as Baltimore jumped to a 17-7 lead.

For the game, the Ravens had only six third-down conversions on 15 attempts, part of the reason they settled for four Stover field goals in the final 55 minutes. But the Ravens registered 37:24 in time of possession, ran off 19 more snaps than Cincinnati (69-50), had four possessions that lasted nine or more plays and four series on which they held the ball six minutes or longer.

"We could just never make a play to get them off the field," said Bengals free safety Madieu Williams, who had a game-high 12 tackles, but who also was part of a Cincinnati secondary that struggled all day to contain wide receiver Mark Clayton (eight catches, 73 yards) and tight end Todd Heap (four receptions, 84 yards). "We never stepped up. We never put ourselves in a position to finish the comeback."

Because of what has transpired in the past, especially two years ago when Palmer earned big-time stripes by rallying the Bengals to a near-incomprehensible 27-26 victory here, the Ravens were wary of Cincinnati's comeback potential. Wary but never really worried.

"That kind of stuff, I think, is behind us," said strongside linebacker Adalius Thomas, who lined up in at least five different positions Sunday and constantly kept Cincinnati's offensive line trying to figure out the right blocking assignments. "I mean, we're just not the same team."

Neither, it seems, are the Bengals.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Thrown helmets, bickering teammates -- same old Bengals?
    Nov. 6, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CINCINNATI -- T.J. Houshmandzadeh flings his helmet. Carson Palmer openly berates a receiver. Chad Johnson grouses all over again about not getting enough passes thrown his way.

The Cincinnati Bengals seem to be falling apart.

A 26-20 loss in Baltimore on Sunday left the defending AFC North champions with a two-game deficit in their division, a break-even record and a list of personal grievances that grows with each loss.

The only constants are the fussing and the fading.

Coach Marvin Lewis talked around his team's problems Monday, trying to move on to the second half of a season that has been nothing like what the Bengals (4-4) expected. There's still a chance to reach the playoffs.

"Our guys understand what's ahead of us," Lewis said.

If they can't get beyond the festering frustration, the future won't be much prettier than the past.

Four losses in the last five games have brought out the worst in the Bengals. Players are openly second-guessing the play calls and their collective toughness, losing their cool during games and grousing afterward about how things have turned out.

Sort of like the Bungles of old.

Only a few players made themselves available in the locker room Monday after meeting with their displeased head coach. Their comments a day earlier had said it all.

"There's no question we do have some young guys, some guys that don't take every advantage of their situation," Palmer said. "And we do need to grow up in a number of areas. We do need to mature and become professionals, and that's something that can happen from where we are.

"Obviously, the way we've been doing it, the way we've gone about our business has got us 4-4."

In the past two weeks, running back Rudi Johnson has complained about being left out of the game plan, right tackle Willie Anderson has questioned the team's manhood and Chad Johnson has promised big games, then failed to deliver.

Anderson had his right arm in a sling as he left the stadium Monday. He was listed as questionable with a strained shoulder for the next game against San Diego. Starting cornerback Tory James also was listed as questionable with a sore knee and reserve CB Greg Brooks had arthroscopic knee surgery on Monday and is out indefinitely.

Johnson, the Pro Bowl receiver, has only two touchdowns this season, and was seething after being held to four catches for 32 yards against Baltimore.

"All you can do, as an individual, is go out and make plays and give your best effort," Johnson said in an expletive-laced postgame interview. "Also, you have to be given opportunities to make plays. Four for 32 -- that's ridiculous. You've got to be kidding me.

"When Christmas comes around, I might as well be a hood ornament, because all I've been so far is a decoration -- a decoration sitting out there all pretty, ready for people to jump on."

Lewis said Monday he had talked to Johnson about the outburst, but declined to go into detail.

No one wanted to talk about Palmer's out-of-character outburst after Chris Henry made no attempt to catch a desperation pass at the end of the game. Henry watched Chris McAlister intercept the pass, then merely touched him with his hands instead of trying to wrestle the ball away.

Palmer, who usually keeps his feelings under control, yelled and gestured at the receiver as they walked off the field.

"We talked, we handled it," was all that Palmer would say about it.

It didn't end there.

Houshmandzadeh yanked off his helmet and angrily slammed it to the ground after the officials decided not to call pass interference on a ball thrown his way in the closing minutes. Houshmandzadeh got a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Then, Houshmandzadeh refused to acknowledge the obvious.

"We're better than Baltimore," he said. "They're not better than us. They beat us, but they know they're not better than us."

Actually, the Ravens are two games better in the standings. And the gap is growing, along with the gripes.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Is it just me or does anyone else think JD Drew would look damn nice in a Reds uniform? A very balanced hitter with great defense and seems to be rid of the injury problem (outside of a fluke injury)... with Dunn, Ed E and him, our offense would have a solid heart of the order. I have no clue what he'll get in this depleted market, but I am hoping he might fall under the radar a bit with guys like Soriano and Lee gathering more attention. It's a bit of a stretch I know, and I take a starter over him.... but the rumors about Luis Gonzalez really had me running for the hills. Drew, Huff, Guillen, Wilson... I think that's my top four from my biggest to my least desired for an OF.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats a decent 4 mission. I am not too sure on Drew because I still feel he never became what he could have been. Yes the injuries had a lot to do with that, but I figure the dude is made of glass and still is extremely fragile. I think the best guy on your list is Guillen to be honest. I would totally love to have him back. He rakes and still has one of the best OF arms in the game. Drew would be cool and I wouldn't hate it because I don't think there are many other affordable RF options that are better besides Guillen. Just my thoughts.

MLB ERA
    Drew is probably the best "affordable" (as in, someone who's not going to get 15+ million per for 6 years) outfielder left on the market, so I agree with you mission. He's going to get maybe 4/42 depending on how much of the preliminary interest (there's like eight teams linked to him) holds.

Drew's been one of the best right fielders in the league defensively, and though his arm isn't one of the elite ones, he makes all the throws he needs to.
    He's a pretty good baserunner (playoff blunder excluded), good speed and good instincts, but he just doesn't run much because of the injuries he's suffered.
    Bat is great, has a good eye, and he seems to have fnally overcome all the injury concerns, only missing significant time for a broken hand by an HBP since 2004. He's hit pretty well in LA, and oddly enough, killed at home in 05 and 06.

I am going to be big on the JD Drew bandwagon until he signs somewhere, hopefully either the Nationals (fat chance) or some other team I actually like (gooooo Athletics, play him in center)

MLB ERA
    Looking like another Marvin Clueless Meltdown.

We were up 28-7 at halftime and now trail 42-38. The Chargers have scored 35 points in a little over one Quarter.

Marvin is a defensive whiz though.

MLB ERA
    It seems the offense is going to do its best to begin choking too.

TJ drops a first down catch. We have scored 10 in this half after 28 in the first half.

It looks like the Chargers adjusted at the half and the Bengals did nothing. Coaches of one team vs. coaches of another team. Looks like one team's coaches coached well and the other's didn't...

That was the ultimate cheap shot. Holy crap.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    It was a cheap shot, but then he made a sparkling play on the next play and bragged about it.

It could be a huge play in the game.

Our offense isn't converting very well in this half now.

He should have been ejected. Helmet-to-Helmet, using your body as a projectile, and pass interference to boot.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    But got the job done on the next play as the Bengals play choke-city.

Hopefully that technique doesn't continue to work, but it well could.

Ravens lead, BTW. Could be a THREE game deficit behind the Ravens soon. Wow.

MLB ERA
    Wow this defense is AWFUL. 3rd and 5 or more is almost a guaranteed 1st down for the opponent.

MLB ERA
    Marvin will lose the timeout here if it's complete as it looks it was.

There's no way we could use those later on.

MLB ERA
    3rd and 8 and no doubt that would be a 1st down.

I think we can put this game in the bag.

MLB ERA
    LOL at this defense.

Clueless.

Bungles! Bungles! Bungles!

Marvin is a defensive whiz!!!

Page 72 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast