Thread: Paul Wilson factoid

Paul Wilson factoid

2 reds made Jayson Stark's midseason report (Milton LVP and Paul Wilson for worst game).... I found this amusing

FIRST PRIZE -- Cincinnati's Paul Wilson made history May 6 vs. the Dodgers -- just the wrong kind:

0 IP, 5 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP, 2 HR and the dreaded tag line: "Wilson pitched to 8 batters in 1st."

FACT OF THE DAY: So how hard is it to give up eight runs in the first inning without getting an out? According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it has happened just five times in the last 75 years. But only one man has ever done it twice. Right. Paul Wilson (July 10, 2003, vs. Houston).

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That really hurts to see. I really have no way of responding to this. Wilson just sucked this year without a doubt. I am still hlding out for him to have a strong comeback next season.

He's a mediocre pitcher, at best. A typical 4.75-5.00 ERA kind of guy who doesn't give up a lot of homeruns, but seems to hit that "fifth inning wall" everytime out. It would be nice to see him convert to long relief, since he tends to run into trouble around fifth inning or so, but he doesn't have any over-powering stuff. Perhaps the best move for him is to retire.

MLB ERA
    If Milton keeps pitching like he has been, then the Reds are a solid starter away from having a decent staff. Harang and Claussen both are going to put up sub-4 ERAs for a while now, and if Milton can get back in the 4.50 range in terms of ERA, the Reds staff should be more than enough to win games with the offense backing them.

I only have two things to say:

- the word 'factoid' sounds nerdy and disconnected, and always gives me the impression that the author is trying to make himself appear to be smarter than he/she really is. It's just one of those words that irks me, and I've seen the word spread from one forum to another. Parrots come to mind.

- Paul Wilson really isn't even worth the discussion. It's time the Reds started getting some REAL pitching. That won't happen, though, until... well, I won't even bother.