Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Olmedo is serving notice

Olmedo is serving notice
    Infielder showing he can hit in big leagues

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

PHOENIX - The Reds have seen Felipe Lopez blossom from a fringe player to an All-Star in the first half of the season.

Could Ray Olmedo make the same leap in the second half?

"I sure hope so," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "I don't see any reason why not."

Olmedo is hitting .571 in his brief time with the Reds this season. The question about Olmedo has always been whether he'll hit.

At 24, he's a year younger than Lopez and doesn't possess Lopez's power. But Olmedo's numbers at Triple-A last year compare favorably. Olmedo hit .286 in 82 games; Lopez hit .273 in 75 games.

Olmedo has been held back because he had offseason elbow ligament replacement surgery.

"Right now, I'm sure if he's 90 percent or 85 percent," Narron said. "Could he play shortstop two or three weeks in a row if need him? That would be the question."

General manager Dan O'Brien rated Olmedo behind Lopez and Anderson Machado going into the season. That's why he was never considered for the shortstop race.

O'Brien projected him as utility player. Narron thinks that's on the low end of scale.

"There's no reason in the world that, at the worst, this guy can't be a very good major-league utility player," Narron said.

Olmedo's spot on the roster is probably in jeopardy when Ryan Freel comes off the disabled list - given losing Machado seems to be a risk the Reds are unwilling to take.

Olmedo's stay in the minors likely would be short because the Reds likely will try to trade Rich Aurilia and/or Joe Randa before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline.
    Click here for the rest of Reds Notes

Olmedo getting props! Got to love John Fay, he's got his eyes open with this team. If rayray learns to steal bases, he's going to be a huge threat. Olmedo's play does make me wonder about freel. I love freel, but he's always so banged up, i don't know if i trust him to be the an everyday position player.

In any case, no need to cross that bridge yet. Just glad to see Ray hitting and getting some respect, DanO has passed him over since the moment he took control.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Olmedo gives the team serious speed from 2B, which is nice if Freel isn't in the lineup. He's very good defensively as well. I'm not sure about his eye, but he could be a good sparkplug towards the bottom of the order in the future, if he can't lead off.

Right now I would love to see Olmedo take over at 2nd everyday for about a two week period. Let's see how that elbow surgery holds up with everyday play. It isn't like if he did poorly the team would fall in the standings. No better time than NOW to see how the younger players are going to work out. I would agree, allow Freel to be the utility player. Unlike Olmedo he can play outfield, along with infield positions.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    At least put Olmedo ahead of Machado on the depth chart. Man, DanO has absolutely no clue. This article kind of calls DanO out IMO. I like Fay's approach and the fact that someone finally gives RayRay his props. Nice article.