Thread: Article from SD Paper

Article from SD Paper

BIG RED MESS: Longtime Reds observers say this year's team is the worst in more than three decades, worse even than the 1982 team, which lost 101 games. After the Reds won a game Monday, it was mentioned to the newly hired manager, Jerry Narron, that his team had a chance for its first back-to-back wins on the road this season. "What?" said the incredulous Narron. "You mean we haven't won two games in a row on the road this year?"

The Padres are among the clubs trying to persuade Dan O'Brien, Cincinnati's rookie GM, to give away Triple-A outfielder Austin Kearns, who apparently is in the doghouse for being too candid in remarks to reporters.

On Tuesday, when the Reds needed a player from Triple-A, they bypassed Kearns, who the day before had hit three home runs in three at-bats. Instead the Reds promoted shortstop Anderson Machado, who was hitting .136. When Machado showed up, Narron dispatched him to the outfield to take fly balls. Machado was stunned.

"Never in my life have I played outfield, and it wasn't fun, I'll tell you that," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't like Machado's comment above. I honestly don't know why the guy is even on this team.

He should be glad his butt aint in AAA,quit whining.

It does make you wonder if Kearns is riding out a "penalty" from the club. I know he isn't looking as solid as he needs to but seems much better choice than Machado called up for OF duty. Something isn't right, but agreed Machado needs to shut up and thanks his lucky stars he is wearing the big league team jersey and not the AAA jersey. What ever happened to "I will do anything it takes to make the team"?

Make...it...stop!!!

This is the stupidest team ever. We have a great player in Kearns thrashing the ball in AAA. So we call up a Shortstop. And then have him be ready to play OF.

I seriously am about to make DanO "disapear"

it's just a dumb artilce, that's the problem.

Machado had to come to the team because he's out of options.

They didn't demote kearns because of anything he said, he's way overweight. He's playing at 255! He's getting into shape and that's what he needs to be doing. He is still in the reds future plans.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford