Thread: What's the highest speed you've seen Belisle get up to?

MLB ERA

What's the highest speed you've seen Belisle get up to?

My friend is swearing he saw Belisle get up to 96 tonight in Arizona, but I'm rather skeptical of that. The highest I've seen is 94, and those are normally well out of the strike zone. Has anyone else seen him get over 94? If he really can get up to 96, he might have more closer in him than I thought.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I've seen him touch 95 for strikes a few times in relief. Tonight I only remember seeing 94 but I really wasn't paying too much attention to that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I haven't seen over 94 yet myself. But I was not here tonight.

I don't know about his speed, but you have to wonder where his mental "speed" is at before tossing him in as the closer full time. His first two chances showed that perfectly. The first time he came in, very little notice, and got out of a very serious jam with a runner in scoring position and I think 1 out in the bottom of the ninth. The very next night he was brought in with a two or three run lead and gave up a run before finally getting out of the game with his second save. He even stated himself he performed better when he didn't have to "think" about it the first night. About 3/4 of being a closer is the mentality of coming in with those situations on the line to win the game. He would be very good if he could get his mind cleared and just pitch. I would like to see him become the closer and have someone set for that.

MLB ERA
    I still think that ultimately, Wagner's going to be the closer, but if Belisle is getting that kind of velocity and if he can develop some consistency with his breaking ball, and if Coffey can get back the velocity we were hearing about during spring training, the Reds have a nice young group for their bullpen.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really would like to see them not give up on Belisle starting. He is starting to look more like the hyped Braves prospect. Obviously his stuff will be more effective as a reliever as it is for all pitchers but given our lack of depth, I'd rather have an ok starter than a good reliever.

he did throw 96, at least by the FSN gun. I haven't seen Belisle throw anything but his fastball consistantly. If he is going to start he needs to have two more pitches, and that's a lot of work.

His fastball is good, and that's really all he needs as a reliever. The other pitches just keep the batter off balance, he doesn't need to be able to throw them for strikes all the time.

The start he got shelled for four HR in two innings in St. Louis, all the bombs were off of hangers. If he can develop the curveball and throw a change for a strike, i'd say make him a starter, it's been a while since we've had anyone who can overpower hitters. But if h'e sjust got the fastball, i'll take him as a reliever, it's not like we don't need those too.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Belisle's problem is hanging the curveball and change way too much, and when he doesn't do that, he's great. He could be a very, very good reliever if he keeps his velocity that high and gains more control on the off-speed stuff.