Thread: Narron needs to go!

Narron needs to go!

I've made my mind up that he is no better a manager than Miley was. The only thing he does differently is make a "really serious face". That's about it, really. Given that he's sat beside Miley all season long, and that he wasn't making out any logically sound lineup cards from the get-go, it was obvious that he was just being given the opportunity to finish the season out for reasons of politeness, if not for buying the Reds time to make a decision on yet another managerial hire. We all heard that Narron was going to "be tough on the players", but I'm not seeing it. Think Torre would allow Reds batter after Reds batter to stand up taking called third strikes in the 9th inning? I GUARANTEE you that those players would be sitting for at least a couple of games (even if it meant a couple of losses, since strong character and winning personality brings more wins down the road), if they were playing under the likes of Torre, Larussa, etc. Narron ought to be fired for allowing this type of lackadaisical play on a nightly basis. It seems like the only players that even give a damn are Freel, Randa, Larue, Claussen, and yes I will say it: Milton. The guy has been taking the opportunity he has with Ruhle, to go over old video, and now we see that he is returning to great pitching form.

It ought to go like this for the Reds this offseason:

1. Change ownership, I don't care if it's a pansy theatre company owner, I just want someone who (a) has money to spend and will spend it; and (b) will hire the right kind of GM that knows how to make sound decisions with available money.

2. Hire the best GM the Reds can afford, maybe more.

3. Hire a REAL manager, with the character and experience of managers like Larussa and Torre.

4. Keep Ruhle as pitching coach.

5. Revamp the scouting department.

That alone would improve the Reds by leaps and bounds.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Who will the Reds take on as manager if Narron goes? I like him for now, but would not keep him for next season. I agree that we do need a hard nosed type manager that will force this team to play hard everyday.

I think Narron should go too.

As for replacements for Narron, I like Jim Leyland and Booby Valentine.

Both are tough and know how to win.

Fire him now and then what?

Yep Narron isn't making it hard to wish for another manager. His lineups are just as bad as Miley's were, except most of the time the same players are playing and batting fairly in the same spots. You get tired of reading it but I still say move Dunn to the third spot, in front of JR, and make pitchers pitch to him. Griffey may not be as scary as he used to be, but he still commands respect and that would give Dunn more hittable pitches. Move Randa to second until Freel comes back and then put Randa either 5th or 6th again.

Keep Ruhle whatever you do though. The pitching staff still isn't setting the media on it's ear but they are putting together some very good games over the last month or so. With more work they could couple with better offense and maybe make the second half enjoyable to watch. I am not dreaming of a playoff run, just above .500 baseball to earn some respect.

Agree completely with that post. I haven't been able to follow to much lately, but it seems when Olmedo plays good things happen. Start him over Aurilia. Unless DanO wants to trade Aurilia and needs some advertise him, show him he can still play.

Ruhle has made Milton turn out 3 quality starts in a row. I like it, I like it...ALOT.

A couple of reds pitchers have gained velocity since gullet left, and i think it's obvious that Rhule has had a good effect. As for Narron, there's no reason to fire him now, but he certainly hasn't shown me anything that would make me want him back. He just makes bad decisions, plain and simple. He puts a bunt and a stolen base on at the same time? What the hell is the point of that.

FeLo had the base stolen and Ray fouled the bunt off, but even if he had gotten it down, the bunt wouldn't have gotten FeLo to third, it's just giving up a hitter. Either bunt or hit and run, or strait steal. It's stupid. And the lineups have been miserable.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    The Reds need a manager who will come in and kick their respective asses. Miley wasn't a hardass, Narron isn't a hardass, and when the Reds do sign another manager, he needs to be a hardass. We also need a manager who recognizes when a player is going well. Why did Aurilia start yesterday with Olmedo hitting like he's been hitting? Why did Valentin make a couple starts while LaRue was on fire? Reds managers really seem to overrate giving players rest, especially with the young guys. Adam Dunn doesn't need a day off every week, believe it or not.