Thread: In Louisville Tonight

In Louisville Tonight

I just got back from tonight's 2-0 Louisville Bats victory and here's my report:

1) Elizardo Ramirez was sharp, pitching 8 innings and he rarely went to a three ball count. He changed speeds beautifully and had the Charlotte Knights hitters off balance most of the time. Actually the Lizard got 27 outs because he endured two errors behind him, one of which was a booted taylor-made DP ball. His poise was excellent as he induced the next hitter to hit a similar ball which was turned into two.

I will also say that if anything the radar gun appeared to be slow so keep that in mind as I give this report. He seemed to be popping fastballs pretty good although the gun generally showed them to be 90MPH.

2) The ninth inning was pitched by closer Chris Booker. I was glad I got to see him because I'd never seen him pitch before. Physically he looks a lot like Ray King of the Cardinals but as a pitcher he really reminded me of former Red, Mike Jackson. His fastball peaked at 94 MPH but his off speed stuff was devastating. I wasn't sitting behind homeplate so I can't be sure exactly what kind of off speed stuff he was throwing but it had the Knight hitters swinging all over the place, lucky to get a foul tip. These pitches were in the 77-80 MPH range and looked to be sliders in the dirt. They were generally a bit late on his fastballs but I wouldn't expect that to continue at the major league level. But his off speed pitch was definitely his strike out pitch. They were flat out flailing at it. He struck out the first hitter he faced without even throwing one fastball. I see him, like Mike Jackson was, as a wonderful setup man and perhaps a decent closer. But definitely a valuable shortman to have in any 'pen.

3) Hitters. Kearns looked sharp. The first time up he took a controversial called strike three on a 3-2 pitch. The next time up he lined out hard to 3B. Then he lined a single to LF. He still was the biggest Louisville Bat on the field but honestly he's not going to get into shape until next year. Chris Denorfia was also impressive. He got some solid hits and looked swift as he ran the bases. I think he's a bonafide prospect. Kenny Kelly looked to be 100%. I didn't notice any knee brace or any loss of speed. If he hasn't replaced Romano by the time they come back after the All Star break then something is wrong. AJ Zapp also looked good. He has a very pretty looking swing albeit maybe a little long. I think he has a future in Cincinnati too. Damne Sardinia also had some good ABs although we all know his ceiling is likely as a backup C in the bigs if he's lucky.

4) I found it interesting that after Charlotte was trailing, they had 1st and 3rd on with two out and their hitter who has 16 HRs attempted a 1-0 bunt (which dribbled foul). I doubt you'll see that in the Reds organization, although the Bats did successfully execute a sacrifice bunt and Sardinia threw out a guy from here to there on an attempted steal of 2nd.

A great night for baseball and Louisville looked solid. Nice to listen to the Reds comeback on the way home...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    wesome report Sea Ray! I am glad you got the chance to see this game live. It is far better to hear the views of someone who saw a live game. I can't believe how well denorfia is playing still. this guy is a stud. I really did not like his makeup when I saw him play during ST, but he has been very impressive this season. Booker should be in our pen next season without a doubt. i love how you explained his off speed stuff. Makes him sound unhittable. Very nice report!

Thanks Sea Ray!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You get rep for this my friend.

I enjoy the report on the Lizard. I really wish the Reds will take their time with him. He's not a tremendous prospect or anything but I think he can be a solid pitcher without a doubt.

I really haven't heard much at all about Booker, other what I can read from his stats and that he is deserving of a callup. Hearing about his stuff makes me all the more excited about him. It sounds like he is the real deal and could be a big addition to the pen if we ever can find a way to get him up.

How did Kearns look at bat? From what I could tell this year he looked a bit timid at times (getting his hands plunked so many times last year will do that to you) and I think it effected his swing.

Thanks for the report Ray.

Kearns looked fine. His problems are not enough regular ABs in Cincinnati and a few too many lbs which will take a dedicated off season to correct. I am still of the mindset that we keep him as our RF for some time to come. He is too good defensively to let go when we can get as much if not more in trade for Pena.

Some criticize Booker for his age but I have no problem with that. He's had some shoulder problems and often power pitchers need time to harness their control or find their niche. In Booker's case his niche is short relief. I think he and Belisle can be a top notch 1-2 punch next year out of that 'pen. I think someone (Pena, Casey...) needs to be traded for a young pitching stud that is ready for our rotation next year, get Wilson back and sign longshot veteran like a Wilson, Harnisch type and then I think we'll be OK. I'm even OK with trading an outfielder and Casey. We could start either Denorfia or Kelly and Freel would still be in the mix as well.

Our rotation would be in no particular order:

Harang
    Wilson
    Claussen
    Milton
    pitcher obtained in trade

with plenty of options in case of injury or failures:

Hudson
    off season veteran signee
    Steve Kelly
    Elizardo Ramirez

Bullpen:

Belisle
    Booker
    Weathers
    Wagner
    Mercker
    Shackleford

This assumes we don't get much in trades between now and then but in reality we should. We've got a lot to trade.

Great report Sea,what i want to know did Booker have a fat bottom lip full of dip like Mike Jackson.