Thread: Were the Reds a loser of the deadline?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Were the Reds a loser of the deadline?

Given some pitching depth and a few prospects still left in the upper minors, the Reds seemed like one of the teams to make some move. Then again, outside of Cliff Lee, nothing was really worth dumping prospects for (at least given our strengths.) It would have been nice to add Downs, but the asking price was just way too much. Similar to getting a LF bat, the only one I was interested in (that we knew could move) was Dunn, and the Nats didn't seem like they wanted to trade him, just that the option existed.

I know a lot of Reds fans are frustrated, but trades do happen beyond July 31st and I am glad Walt isn't sacrificing the farm to make deals for the sake of making them. It does hurt momentum to some degree I am sure in the clubhouse, but we have a solid team.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Were the Reds a loser of the deadline?

Don't forget that 2 of Jocketty's biggest deals were waiver deadline moves in Larry Walker and Woody Williams. I think he has at least one move up his sleeve.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds didn't really have that many holes to fill or at least big ones. Lots of good young players stepping up this year for the Reds.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

True. I think though the expectation was that they would attempt a move to 'put them over the top.' Right now, as the roster stands, they should be competitive but I do think a key move or two could have allowed them to run away. Plus, naturally there was disappointment in Reds country with the inactivity while the Cards made a move.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hear you. As a Giants fan I was happy with the moves we made to bolster the bullpen but disappointed we couldn't get a solid bat. Jocketty is a sly mofo but the Reds have had a lot a great guys stepping it up like Heisey, Wood, Leake and Hannigan. Wouldn't surprise me if the Reds found another gem in the system.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Reds didn't really have that many holes to fill or at least big ones. Lots of good young players stepping up this year for the Reds.
    We're seeing what our biggest need was that got ignored. Starting Pitching. Yes its been good thus far but now the book is out on Leake and his innings are piling up, Wood just got demoted to make room for Jim Edmonds after being arguably our best starter since the all star break, we are using Edison Volquez who cant find the strike zone but yet it wasnt a need? I'd rather packaged up 2 or 3 Chris Dickerson's and Drew Sutton's and tried for another middle of the rotation arm so that we didnt have to put so much pressure on guys like Volquez. Walt's largely ignored it bringing in more guys that sound like a who's who of has been stars in some St. Louis reunion.

Jim Edmonds
    Jason Isringhausen (who is expected to be put on the 40 man at some point before Sept 1)
    Russ Springer (who pitched exactly 1 game and cost us losing Drew Sutton to the Tribe)
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Homer Bailey is coming soon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Homer Bailey is coming soon
    Who also hasnt pitched a professional pitch since??? May 23 and while shown signs of breaking out, has has just as many duds this year?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah, that one

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am honestly pretty happy to get Homer back. Who knows what the results will be, but he did show flashes this year.