Thread: Reds sign OF Gary Matthews Jr.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds sign OF Gary Matthews Jr.

Glad to know the Reds are still capable of making classic Reds decision.

We sign a player who received a contract he should have never gotten. The team who signed him wanted him gone so badly they were willing to pay 10's of millions to get rid of him. And the new old team felt ripped off even at that cost with a .507 OPS in about 60 AB's.

Hopefully, as this is a minor league deal, this is just Dusty taking care of him and at worst, for us, he'll get a callup in September.

MLB ERA

Re: Reds sign OF Gary Matthews Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Glad to know the Reds are still capable of making classic Reds decision.

We sign a player who received a contract he should have never gotten. The team who signed him wanted him gone so badly they were willing to pay 10's of millions to get rid of him. And the new old team felt ripped off even at that cost with a .507 OPS in about 60 AB's.

Hopefully, as this is a minor league deal, this is just Dusty taking care of him and at worst, for us, he'll get a callup in September.
    Duhhhsty is why I wish we would avoid guys like this. GMJ is DONE his one good season was either A) Career Year or B) HgH enfused season that he wont replicate now that MLB is "serious" about testing for it. I still remember one Corey Patterson getting signed and maybe people screamed INSURANCE and we know how that ended. I pray Stubbs, Heisey, and Dickerson get and stay healthy and hit like no tomorrow because "Sarge's Son" is sitting at AAA and just waiting for the replacement type of Matthews CF to come in the mail for Duhhsty to start putting to use.

We couldnt find ANYONE with a lick of defensive ability ANYWHERE to where were stuck with relying on GMJ (and Dusty to use him properly) if someone else goes down? Are they TRYING to purposely sabatogue this season???
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, we know he will be called up and he will see some starts, the question is how soon and how often. And frankly, if the Reds stay in the race, I don't know if that makes Dusty more likely to call him up.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

While we're at it, why don't we see if Ken Griffey, Jr. would make a comeback...
    rf28