Thread: Should Dusty get ripped for player failures?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Should Dusty get ripped for player failures?

Just a general question. Last night, he pulls Rhodes for Masset who promptly surrendered the game winning HR to Ryan Doumit. So the question is: should Dusty get ripped for the decision or should the blame be placed on the guy who couldn't do his job?

Thoughts?
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Should Dusty get ripped for player failures?

It's not Dusty who is to blame. He is a player's manager and for better or worse, he will have faith in his guys. Masset was a lights out setup man last season so he will continue to go to him in setup situations until he loses his spot.

MLB ERA

Re: Should Dusty get ripped for player failures?

Massett has pitched in 5 of 6 games since getting the loss vs Atlanta. The old saying of "run em right back out there" hasn't worked. Give him a couple days to watch film with Pitching Staff/Price see if anyone catches something different, compare notes last year to this year (pitches thrown, types of pitches, etc) see if you can find some correlation. Let him relax only use him in a non pressure situation or start of an inning (ONLY if you HAVE to). I would rather it cost us a couple games in May if it means we pick up a few more into August and September with a good Massett. Use Rosario as often as have to while he's here (likely to go back down when we need another starter) and its easier to rest him at AAA for a few days. We are not going anywhere with Arthur Rhodes being the only guy we can count on late in games.

Dusty has a roll to play in this and cannot keep doing the same things over and over again when it comes to Massett and Cordero.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes