Thread: Notes: Belisle awed by Opening Day

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Notes: Belisle awed by Opening Day

CINCINNATI -- Matt Belisle looked at the jersey with all the wide-eyed wonder of a young boy eyeing up presents under the Christmas tree.
    It hung in his locker at Great American Ball Park, and bore the number "31."

Yes, 31. Not the obscure No. 70 that Belisle wore throughout Spring Training, as he fought to get this spot on the Opening Day roster.

Ballplayers wearing numbers in the 70s or 80s in the spring know their rank. They know they stand as the low men on the totem pole (unless you're reliever Ben Weber, whose quixotic nature calls for him to wear No. 77 with pride).

But here the 24-year-old Belisle sat on the morning of the first Opening Day of his career, the No. 31 standing as a sign that he had finally made it.

"They had four numbers left, and I looked at them and wondered which one would look best with my name above it," Belisle said. "I love that one. Hopefully I'll make it a big time number."
    Rest of the Story

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really hope he does well for us as I do not want to see anyone blow it. he is a good prospect that deserves a chance. Good luck to Belisle. I am glad to see that he is throwing hard as well.

MLB ERA
    I would much prefer that he enters the game in mid-relief over Weathers at this point in time.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    He looked solid today. Got out Beltran and Piazza with a man on base.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    He looked solid today. Got out Beltran and Piazza with a man on base.
    Yes, and he consistently was hiting 93 on the gun.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep I liked what we saw of him yesterday. Good to have him pitching well with the picked veterans not doing that yet.

Miley rolled the dice and came up sevens with his choice of leaving him in against Beltran. The youngster stood up and got a very good hitter out. Solid early performance and a very good character builder for later in the season. Maybe the front office did something right this season and got better pitching. I won't say good yet but seemingly better.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Very good post BRM! I really think we could count on Miley having the right decisions this year, And Belisle is a positive new look for this team.