Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Randa readies for change

07/07/2005 10:11 PM ET
    Notes: Randa readies for change
    Third baseman smoothing the way for Encarnacion
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Joe Randa is tidying up the house and getting ready to hand the keys over to Edwin Encarnacion.

Randa knows he's trade bait dangling at the end of general manager Dan O'Brien's line, and he also knows Encarnacion will be there to take over his third base spot if some other team bites before the July 31 trading deadline.

"When I signed here, I knew what my role was going to be," Randa said. "My role is to basically play here one year until [Encarnacion's] ready. We haven't played well. I know when I go out there, there's other teams that are watching. And I know the organization is going to do what's best for the organization and not so much the best for Joe Randa. That's the way this business works."

So when Encarnacion was optioned back to Triple-A Louisville on Wednesday, Randa pulled him aside for a little pep talk.

"He said I'm going to be back here, because he thinks they're going to trade him," Encarnacion said. "I don't know what's going to happen. The only thing I can do is go down and keep playing hard and see what happens."

Randa, whose solid bat, stellar defensive play and veteran leadership could prove valuable to a playoff contender, knows the 22-year-old Encarnacion is the organization's future at the position.

And in Randa's mind, the future looks bright.

"I think he's got huge upside," Randa said. "His potential is tremendous. The thing I like most about him is he asks questions and he's willing to learn. I think a lot of young guys today think they've got it figured out when they get here, and they learn the hard way. Most guys who come up here aren't as ready as they think they are."

Truth be told, Encarnacion isn't quite ready for everyday play just yet. His defense is still a work in progress, and he's barely had his first taste of big-league pitching.

So as long as Randa is still manning the position, Encarnacion will continue to get seasoned in Louisville.

"It was probably good for the organization to get him up here to get his feet wet," Randa said. "But if they're looking to trade me, it doesn't do much good -- until they trade me -- to have him here."

Encarnacion, who was called up on June 24 and made 10 appearances -- including three starts -- before being sent back down, knows it, too.

And he knows a lot more about the requirements of a Major League third baseman after learning from Randa for a couple weeks.

"I learned a lot here in the big leagues," he said. "I watched Randa a lot in batting practice. In BP, every day, he made the same routine plays. And that's what you have to do to keep being here in the big leagues."

Randa's been doing it for 11 seasons, and he thinks Encarnacion could have a similarly long career.

"I think he'll be covering that third base area in Cincinnati for a long time," he said.

Once Randa turns over the keys, that is.
    Click here for the rest of the notes

Randa is one of the few Reds that busts his butt day in, and day out. I'll miss him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good attitudes all around here. Both of these guys understand the business of baseball. Good to see EdE has a good player to watch as he his getting his seasoning as well. Kind of like Larkin was for Lopez, so is Randa to EdE. We have ourselves a good future at the 3 bag and I am greatful to see it.

I'll be sorry to see Joe go as well. Let's see what OB gets for him. In my mind he's worth more than Boone was two years ago. If we don't get equal value I'm fine with keeping him around, offering him arbitration, and letting him go and get the draft picks for him. That's how St Louis stockpiled draftpicks this year. If he accepts arbitration fine. He can tutor EE next year as well.

Don't blow it OB

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree that he is worth more than Boone was. And Boone got us Claussen. I wonder what we could get from Randa? Could be interesting.

This is another opportunity in which to evaluate O'Brien. The bar has been set. How will he do. He needs to do better than Claussen/Charlie Manning. Save your job O'Brien!

Losing Randa will hurt me from a fan standpoint but also add to it with EdE coming up and being solid at the hot corner. He showed he can play and just needs to be molded to make it in the big leagues. Very few players just show up and can play, Randa is there already and can really show him the ropes of being a MLB 3rd basemen. O'Brian best work this deal, if there is one, to really get someone solid NOT just a prospect with "hopes" of being good. I agree this one will tell the tale of O'Brian.

Very classy thing to do by Randa. I wish him well in his future endeavours.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I see Randa in a Twins uniform. I hope sooner than later. I think a guy like Kyle Lohse will be available.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Randa to the Twins makes sense.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Yeah i would hate to see Randa go but if it brings someone in the can help out our pitching sitution and allows EdE to play everyday at the big league level im all for the move.

MLB ERA
    Coming into this year, I didn't expect Randa to be anything special, but he's probably gonna have the stats I expected for the whole year at the all-star break. I'll be sad to see him go, to be honest.

MLB ERA
    I loved this signing, and I'll like it even more if we get a FAIR return for him. I'm not sure if O'Brien is "able" to do that though. Ugh.

He's a quality individual.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.