Thread: Through the first 8 games...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Through the first 8 games...

First off, I'm back, hopefully to stay.

Now, looking at the first 8 games, we see the following:

1) Dusty is using the bullpen way too much, partly out of necessity. That HAS to change in order for this team to compete. Speaking of Dusty, he's a tool!

2) Either a) Chris Dickerson is in the doghouse
    b) Chris Dickerson sucks
    c) Dusty has a Corey Patterson-esque man-love for Jonny Gomes

3) Jonny Gomes, by the way, is apparently the real-life counterpart for Pedro Cerrano from Major League. He simply cannot hit a breaking pitch to save his life.

4) Drew Stubbs is on pace to shatter the mlb record for strikeouts in a single season by a hitter.

5) Jay Bruce (barring him figuring it out at some point) is Adam Dunn with less power.

6) Brandon Phillips needs to vacate the 4 hole in the lineup until he shortens his swing. Scott Rolen needs to move up in the lineup to fill the hole.

7) This team is WAAAAAYYYY too impatient at the plate to be considered contenders.

8) Cueto is very immature when pitching. He rushes and is easily frustrated when either his command isn't there or the ump is not giving him the borderline calls. When he is frustrated, bad things happen to him.

9) The jury is still out on Mike Leake. Has potential. Hoping the walks are 1st start in MLB related and not a trend.

10) Herrera might be a midget, but he's filthy.

11) Harang/Arroyo both need to be traded before the deadline, preferrably for a bat.

12) The true Homer Bailey is a mix between his first half last year and his second half last year.

13) Hanigan deserves to start more. Like him better than Hernandez

Thoughts???
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Through the first 8 games...

1) The bullpen has been used a ton, but I can't blame that on Dusty yet. Usually we are blaming Dusty for overusing the starters. Leake's debut went a lot deeper than we expected. I think it is just that it is still early in the season and that the starters just aren't ready to go deep yet.

2) I really think Dickerson should be starting over Stubbs right now. Stubbs is, like you said, a strikeout mad man.

3) Gomes swings harder at every pitch than anything Brandon Phillips ever swings at. And I have complained about Phillips' early count hacks a lot. But Gomes is the pinnacle of all or nothing.

4) Agreed

5) Adam Dunn with less power and less walks and less hits. He hasn't even proven he can hit for an Adam Dunn average yet. But I still haven't given up. This season is still extremely young.

6) I couldn't agree more. Stubbs and Phillips have been pissing me off the most this season. And Rolen has proven he can still hit.

7) Yep. anyone seen Brook Jacoby anywhere?

8) Is it me, or has Cueto put on a ton of weight? Not that it matters a lot for a pitcher, but I hope this doesn't change things for him. He simply didn't look dominate at all in his last outing. I was very disapointed.

9) Agreed.

10) Yep

11) Absolutely right unless it is without a doubt that this team is in a playoff race. More chips like Yonder Alonso could also bring us some goodies.

12) I think Homer Bailey is a slow starter. It is weird to say that about a pitcher, but this guy seems to take a while to get things going.

13) I think I do too.

Excellent post rf28!