Thread: Mets are scouting Bronson

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Mets are scouting Bronson

Matt Pignataro of Seven Train to Sheais spending some time out in the Cactus League. As you may already know, Matt does some work for a Texas Rangers affiliate in Spokane, Washington.
    Today he passed along information regarding the Mets scouting Bronson Arroyo. While talking to Matt via text, he told me that rumors about Gary Matthews to the Reds were untrue and one scout state the Mets could use Daniel Murphy as trade bait for a starting pitcher. Knowing the Reds have Joey Votto makes that an unlikely match for Arroyo.
    There were rumblings of the Mets interest in Arroyo this offseason in terms of the Reds dumping payroll in the form of a package that would include Brandon Phillips.
    Arroyo is due $11 million this year and an option year for another $11 million or $2 million dollar buyout.
    Pignataro did go on to say the Reds would like to move Aaron Harang before Arroyo. Personally I would stay away from Harang, an injury prone pitcher, and someone with declining peripherals since finishing 4th in the Cy Young voting in 2007.
    With the way that John Maine, Mike Pelfrey, and Oliver Perez have performed it might be in the Mets interest to take on someone like Arroyo. He will give you innings and has experience pitching in the big spot. The problem is I believe teams would ask for one of the Mets young players (i.e. Fernando Martinez, Ike Davis, Jenrry Mejia) in these deals. I doubt players like Daniel Murphy, Luis Castillo, or Gary Matthews Jr. gets it done unless Cincinnati is in severe cost cutting mode.
    Click here for link

The scary thing about the listed names in return from the Mets is that the Reds were rumored as having interest in Gary Matthews Jr. this offseason. If I remember correctly, Matthews has a titanic contract and I am not sure if the Angels are still paying on that or not. If so, the point would be moot.

Anyhow, this does spark my attention and I would rather not see Arroyo move at all right now. Lets see how far this team will take us into contention areas before we think about dealing such a huge piece.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Mets are scouting Bronson

The Angels are paying virtually all of Matthews' deal, as they wanted to dump him that badly.

The Reds rotation has a lot of potential, but I wouldn't go off trading Arroyo, unless for another piece that they really need, just yet as we all know what can happen if a team relies solely on potential...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Mets are scouting Bronson

Some people like the thought of this deal...

Arroyo, Alonso, and Cabrera
    for
    Reyes

I think the Mets would like the deal and the Reds might not gawk at it either. But that is a lot to give up isn't it?

Cabrera would be obsolete if Reyes was coming back, Alonso is blocked by our best hitter, and Arroyo could be replaced (although may not be in the same talent zone as Arroyo for this season) by Wood or Leake.

Our rotation could still be formidable:
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Wells/Owings?
    Wood

Owings could be stretched out and he has experience as does Wells. They look ugly in the fourth spot, but if Chapman is the real deal, he could easily replace them as the 4th gun in the rotation. Plus Volquez will be back late in the season to replace woever is struggling. With Lehr, Maloney, and Leake ready to fill in when necessary, this team could still pitch.

Yet I still would say no to a deal like this. It is too early to give up on a season that hasn't even started yet. But, the underlying factor is, selling Arroyo now may demand a higher return than later.