Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Cabrera signed to a one year deal worth $3MM

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Orlando Cabrera signed to a one year deal worth $3MM

Jocketty has noted that the Reds have toyed around with the idea. This tells me that they are looking his way as Jim Bowden reported earlier today.

They are likely seeing if he can be taken cheaper. My only question is, if we could sign Corey Patterson at all costs and he wasn't a 1 player away type need; then why couldn't Castelinni open the wallet for Cabrera in this type of fashion when he is much closer to being the only surefire need we have?

Hopefully the Reds will snaek in and get it done as cheaply as possible, but no matter what make sure he lands in Cincy.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

re: Orlando Cabrera signed to a one year deal worth $3MM

Question is if Cabrera, with declining defense and a non-spectacular bat, really that much of an upgrade over Janish? If the lineup will actually produce runs this year, could we live with a black hole batting 8th but playing FANTASTIC defense?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Looking at the numbers; Cabrera rarely takes a walk. He has posted a .284 BA and a .316 OBP last season. 36 BB to 71 Ks. He will frustrate us at the plate for sure. Let's compare that to Janish.

Cabrera .284/.316/.389 = .705 OPS. 36 BBs to 71 Ks in 656 ABs.
    Janish .211/.296/.305 = .601 OPS. 26 BBs to 40 Ks in 256 ABs.

Cabrera had exactly 400 more ABs than Janish. That is an entire season for some. So the numbers are obviously hard to compare. But Janish still was only 10 walks behind Cabrera.

When you look at those numbers, it seems like Cabrera is still superior though because he does hit for a much better AVG, and seeing that Janish struck out 40 times, if you double his ABs to 512, he would have struck out 80 times which is more than Cabrera's 71. And Cabrera would still have 144 more ABs than Janish.

Tale of the numbers from last season? Cabrera walks far less, and Janish strikes out far more.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Per Mark Sheldon's blog:

How about the possiblity of adding free agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera?
    "He is more realistic," Jocketty said. "We're still talking to a number of free agents. We've really exceeded where our budget should be. We're still trying to upgrade the club if we can manage it financially."
    If the Reds add anyone, it would probably be under a minor league contract.
    "We don't have a roster spot right now and it will be tough to find one," Jocketty said. "But it will be tough to get many of the people out there to take a Minor League contract."
    Next week, the Reds will have a scout to check out free agent lefty Noah Lowry, who will throw in a public workout. Lowry has not pitched since 2007 because of multiple injuries, including something called thoracic outlet syndrome.
    "We'll probably watch him to keep an eye on him," Jocketty said. "We inquired about him in the past. We sent someone to look at Ben Sheets too but knew he wouldn't be in our price range. But we wanted to keep track of him."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

John Heyman:

Reds are seriously considering orlando cabrera, a nice fit for them.
    Sounds imminent...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Tim Brown tweets:

Orlando Cabrera choosing between offers from Rockies and Reds.
    If we do get him, I think I will be happy with it on the standpoint that it does make the team better. I will be looking at his defense in a moment via mlb.tv and see if he can still get it done. But I don't have anything else to look at as far as the prefessed defensive decline.

I can only agree with everyone because it seems like the majority issue surrounding Cabrera. I just want to see for myself as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

John Fay reports:

Theres no chance it happens tonight-at least for the Reds

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't know. I am not a dedicated follower of the AL enough to know if his glove decline last season was due to a diminishing skill set entirely or other circumstances. If his glove bounces back to what it once was even in 2007 or 2008, I'd be pretty happy with that. If it can't... I'd honestly rather just accept a miserable run production bat from Janish and enjoy watching his slick fielding.

Hopefully the Reds scout see that Cabrera can still bring it in the field.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I don't think it will be a signing just for the sake of making a move here though either. The Reds have to see him as an upgrade offensively if they are considering it.

They have mentioned many times that they are tapped for this season. Even though Chapman didn't break the bank and Rolen's new deal released funds for this season; they still say they are tapped out.

But new reports are saying that the "right player" could be taken on still. If Cabrera is said right player, then the scouts must see something. Then again, how many times have they got it wrong in the past? Plenty...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Either way, let's hope that the Reds aren't desperate enough to offer a second year to beat the Rockies' offer.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah, I am only happy with a one year deal here. Perhaps Cabrera believes he can play well enough to be a commodity next offseason.

That would be great for us. I simply worry that Janish will hit .200 or below for us this year. He can play great defense, but we may need his bat at crucial points all season long. I hate having auto outs in the lineup. And Janish hasn't proven otherwise yet.

MLB ERA

Just my perspective, it's very difficult to win with back-to-back automatic outs in your order, which is obviously what you'd have without a move. Orlando Cabrera is way past his prime - and never was that amazing anyways - but he is still a competent shortstop. I would find it hard to believe that the Reds wouldn't be better off with him there despite the downgrade in defense.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But is a sub-.700 OPS really that much of an upgrade?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You still can't call that good. I see your point mission. Even though Cabrera can be better at the plate, we still aren't good at the SS position.

I guess if he is had for one year and he is the only available option outside of doing the unthinkable and moving Phillips over; Cabrera may still be a decent take.

Signing a one year deal brings competition for the SS position. Cabrera will get the nod on OD. But with Janish not far behind, maybe he does improve while Cabrera continues to fade. If that happens, then we only spoiled money for the one year. I don't expect this team to spend money on much else. They would be opening the wallet to get a need, although only a slight upgrade. And to have a plan B in case one of them do not work out.

The only way a one year deal hurts here is the money used for Cabrera could otherwise be used for teh draft in a deal at the trade deadline. Otherwise, the contract is off the books at the end of the year. No harm, no foul.

I doubt Jocketty would be dumb enough to make a slight upgrade at the draft's expense. And I am pretty sure Castellini will make a deadline budget move if need be.

All in all, I don't think it is anything to get excited about. But to have a second possibility would make the team a bit more formidable IMO.

MLB ERA

Also, Cabrera hasn't had an OPS under .700 since 2005. That being said, they're always in the low .700's. And I would argue that OPS is less relevant in judging a middle infielder anyways, especially one of Cabrera's mold. He's certainly not an outstanding shortstop, but he is an improvement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast