Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Cabrera signed to a one year deal worth $3MM

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

re: Orlando Cabrera signed to a one year deal worth $3MM

You're right, that was an assumption on my part as his 2009 OPS was .702 and his 2008 OPS was .705. Given is age, I assumed a decline below that threshold was inevitable. I did not make that clear so I apologize.

And OPS isn't end all and be all, I was being lazy. Really what we need, especially given the fact that Cabrera, if he signs, will NOT being batting 8th (if Baker follows his usual style) is someone who will get on base. Cabrera's BB/SO took a noticable drop last season and that is really what concerns me more than anything. The 2008 Cabrera I would welcomed, but when you walk 20 less times than you did in the previous season... that is troubling for a player whose skill set is beginning to fade.

Perhaps Oakland was just a bad fit for him as his numbers did jump in Minnesota, I don't know.

For the record, I am not arguing that this would be a bad signing, it could be quite good, I just hope the Reds do it in the right way (ie properly scouted him based off of 2009 footage, will not offer beyond a 1 year deal, etc.) I've liked Cabrera's game for awhile, but at age 35, the Reds need to be cautious.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am pretty sure that Cabrera had a bum knee for a while in Oakland last year as well. That may have something to do with the numbers. But as mission has pointed out, his age has got to be a pivotal role in the decline as well.

I agree, take caution. Only let it be a one year deal, and hope for the best.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

See, I didn't know that (the injury.) It might explain his bounceback in Minnesota.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am going to look into it real quick.

BTW, I just heard that Felo is fielding offers from the Rockies. With the Rockies being the competition for Cabrera, maybe the Rockies and Cabrera talks are dead?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Interesting notes via Wikipedia on Cabrera:

In 2009 Cabrera led all major league shortstops in errors, with 25. He had a solid offense year finishing the season batting .284, 186 hits (4th among all shortstops), and 77 RBIs (1st among AL shortstops and 4th out of all shortstops).
    Yes he defense went haywire on him. Just two years removed from a gold glove. Definitely see age as a factor here. But those offensive numbers don't look bad. He doesn't walk, but for a shortstop, he still hits.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I never knew he was Jolbert Cabrera's younger brother. Perhaps Jolbert has a few things to say about his time in Cincy? Like, "Dusty will bat you cleanup whenever dude!"

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Wow, Cabrera's UZR was at -15.3 last season while Janish put up a solid 11.7.

Huge difference there. But UZR isn't a number that I have the ability to come up with at home. Yet I trust the stat. The difference is staggering enough to notice there is a serious need to speak of Cabrera's fall off.

Still pondering...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    You're right, that was an assumption on my part as his 2009 OPS was .702 and his 2008 OPS was .705. Given is age, I assumed a decline below that threshold was inevitable. I did not make that clear so I apologize.
    Right, because his .743 OPS with Minnesota to finish last season is clearly declining from his previous marks.. It's a non-issue because, like I said, it's low .700's. But that was a pretty ridiculous response.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    See, I didn't know that (the injury.) It might explain his bounceback in Minnesota.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I am sorry if I came off as rude. But I have acknowledged my ignorance regarding his situation last season and how his numbers did indeed jump once traded. It was a glib remark and it wasn't an attack on your post. He could have simply had a bad season. Matt Holliday's time in Oakland was atrocious and that isn't a reflection on his talent.

I have acknowledged from the very beginning that he would be an upgrade offensively. I do think given his age and the position he plays, he should be approached with caution as we do not need our left side of the infield +35 for the next few seasons, unless they can produce on both sides of the field. And his declining BB/SO is a serious concern. Again, I am not against it, I just want caution to be taken. I have begun to like the possibility of it more and more and I do hope we bring him in on a one year deal. It could totally change the lineup, assuming Reds scouts believe that his UZR will return to normal and that he can draw more walks like he did in 2008.

I am a pretty worst case scenario when it comes to older players being out salvation.
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 01-30-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

If the Reds are considering Orlando Cabrera, why not kick the tires on moving Phillips to SS and see what it would take to get Orlando Hudson in the fold.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

redsr, if FeLo could be had at the same price, would you take him over Cabrera? (Move Phillips to SS, play Lopez at 2B.)feLo hit a TON of doubles last season and still can deliver a pretty rocking OBP. That would be a pretty big risk though as who knows what kind of SS Phillips would be (great athlete, but 2B is his bread and butter.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bipster View Post
    If the Reds are considering Orlando Cabrera, why not kick the tires on moving Phillips to SS and see what it would take to get Orlando Hudson in the fold.
    Hey bip! Long time no see.

I too like Hudson a lot, and that really does explain a lot of my cynicism toward Cabrera is because I was dreaming of getting Hudson. But from what I've heard, Hudson's price tag seems out of our reach, unless he would come down. redsr has mentioned that the two are friends, so I am sure Phillips would be pretty darn okay with that move and that could make them a dynamic double play duo.

MLB ERA

Thanks for the welcome. It turns out that I have a little extra time on my hands as I am recovering from a ruptured achilles.....just not as young as I used to be.

I heard somewhere that the Nationals are the leading contender....errr minor league team.....to offer ODog and I just thought....hmm, why wouldn't we take a flyer on him.

MLB ERA

The only good thing that I can say about Cabrera right now is he has been in the postseason the last 5 years (I think) and is reported to be a great clubhouse guy and leader.....ala Scott Rolen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast