Thread: Reds sign Jose Arredondo

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Reds sign Jose Arredondo

They sign him to a minor league deal! I absolutely love it! I remember watching this guy with the Angels and thinking his stuff was pretty darn special. Granted, I only saw him a few times, but remember thinking the Angels had quite a talented reliever that many did not know much about.

Now we got him! I am without a doubt overly confident on this guy, lets just hope things work out. I like it a lot!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds sign Jose Arredondo

Per redreporter via twitter

In 106 MLB innings, Arredondo posted: 3.48 ERA, 8.7 K/9, 3.8 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9. Tommy John surgery will miss 2010, but good low risk pickup!
    So he will not be pitching for us this year. I am still excited about this kid's future. He has promise.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So um, which one are you getting? 2008 version or 2009 version?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds sign Arredondo
    Posted by jfay January 22nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

The Reds signed right-hander Jose Arredondo to a minor league deal. Basically, it’s signing for 2011. Arredondo will have “Tommy John” surgery shortly.

“He’s a young guy with a power arm,” Walt Jocketty said. “We think he’ll fit in our bullpen when he’s healthy. We’re trying to stockpile those power arms.”

Arredondo, 25, went 10-2 with a 1.62 ERA in 52 games in 2008. He slipped to 2-3 with 6.00 ERA last season in 43 games. He dealt with elbow problems all season.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    So um, which one are you getting? 2008 version or 2009 version?
    I am expecting the 2008 version if not better. After his Tommy John surgery, hopefully he can bounce back like most have before him. He will miss this season, but the Reds likely are looking forward to rehabbing him and getting him back on track.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Some past thoughts on pre-injured Arredondo via mlb.com video here

As you can see, he throws up some heat hitting 95 MPH in this video. Looks to have a live sinking chageup as well as a tight biting slide piece.

Rookie ERA

I know this is a bit off topic, but, Im surprised to see so many Reds fans on one site.

I don't think I've met so many of them before.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic, but, Im surprised to see so many Reds fans on one site.

I don't think I've met so many of them before.
    Be careful they are the Mafia here. lol.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Arrendondo is such a fantastic pickup. We won't see him until 2011, but he could be even better than he was before. And this isn't exactly Jocketty's first rodeo with a reclamation project after surgery...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yes, but remember Jocketty did have a guy named Dave Duncan to help him in the reclamation stand point.

I am very enthused by this signing, but a bit worried as well. With Chapman said to have a bit of an attitude and reports that Arredondo also needs some straightening out and we add that to Volquez finally getting it altogether. Is there a possibility we have three amazing pitchers banning together and getting eachother into trouble?

I just think the more trouble you add, the greater the possibility becomes. Again, I love the risk here. I just hope it doesn't cause clubhouse problems.

No better tandem to do it than Dusty and Price probably either. They speak their language and we all know Dusty is a great motivator. He may not know how to use his players in the right situation all the time, but I think he can motivate his team.