Thread: John Sickels' top 20 Reds spects

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds John Sickels' top 20 Reds spects

A few surprises on here...

1) Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Grade A-: Could be a truly amazing pitcher if it all comes together, but there's obvious risk here given the need for cultural adjustment, as well as potential command issues.
    2) Todd Frazier, INF-OF, Grade B+: Doesn't quite have Alonso's offensive upside, but much more versatile defensively and a very solid hitter in his own right. I like him a lot.
    3) Yonder Alonso, 1B, Grade B+: Borderline B. Kills right-handers, but inability to hit lefties is an issue and how do they get him into a lineup with Votto? Stock will drop if he doesn't start to solve lefties next year.
    4) Mike Leake, RHP, Grade B: Borderline B+. Might bump him up the notch, haven't decided yet. Outstanding pitchability and athleticism, and I think his stuff is a bit underrated by some people. Shouldn't take long to fit into the rotation. While perhaps "only" a number three starter, what's wrong with that?
    5) Chris Heisey, OF, Grade B: Just a very solid player, looks like a .280, 15-homer, 15-steal guy.
    6) Juan Francisco, 3B, Grade B-: Borderline C+ due to strike zone issues. Could be a genuine monster if he gets the zone under control, but major league pitchers will eventually exploit his current approach. Is he really a 3B?
    7) Brad Boxberger, RHP, Grade B-: Could move quickly if used in the bullpen, but needs better command to rank higher.
    8) Travis Wood, LHP, Grade C+: Outstanding comeback season last year, but looks more like a four/five starter based on his stuff. Ranks ahead of Maloney since he's younger.
    9) Matt Maloney, LHP, Grade C+: I have always liked this guy as a possible four/five starter. Great K/BB ratios with good strikeout rates despite average stuff. Main worry is home run tendency.
    10) Zack Cozart, SS, Grade C+: Took a big step forward with his plate discipline last year, good glove, has some pop, but probably just a .240 hitter.
    11) Donnie Joseph, LHP, Grade C+: Relief arm from the University of Houston should move quickly, lots of strikeouts, won't have to be stuck in LOOGY role.
    12) Billy Hamilton, SS, Grade C+: Great athleticism, but will need time to develop the bat. Defensive value puts him a little ahead of the tools outfielders listed below.
    13) Josh Fellhauer, OF, Grade C+: David DeJesus type.
    14) Chris Valaika, SS, Grade C+: Gets an injury mulligan but has to get the bat going again quickly or he'll drop fast in '10.
    15) Neftali Soto, 3B, Grade C: Great tools, terrible approach, still young.
    16) Yorman Rodriguez, OF, Grade C: Yes, yes, I know all about his tools. If you go just by tools he's a top ten guy. If you go by skills he's not in the top 20 or 30. Since I look at both tools and skills he ends up here in a compromise position. He could turn into something good, but the risk of failure is too great for me to rank him higher at this point. See Neftali Soto.
    17) Juan Silva, OF, Grade C: Pretty solid tools, and he was effective in rookie ball. Sleeper for the top ten next year.
    18) Juan Duran, OF, Grade C: See Yorman Rodriguez.
    19) Juan Carlos Sulbaran, RHP, Grade C: Dayton numbers aren't great, but I like his arm and I think he could break through next year.
    20) Enerio Del Rosario, RHP, Grade C: Ground ball machine for the bullpen.
    I hope to see guys like Rodriguez and Duran move up this year. They are both really young and really raw, but hopefully some of our coaching can help get their skills down and get them into great baseball prospect territory.

Either way, I am still excited about this Reds farm system. They have been solid for quite a few years now. Keep it up Reds!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: John Sickels' top 20 Reds spects

Matt Maloney wasn't a very good point guard.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Was flipping through my 2007 BA prospect handbook and noticed their Reds 2010 projected lineup. Very interesting...

C Miguel Perez (I think we are equal here with Hernandez)
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B EdE (we upgraded here)
    SS Milton Loo (might be nice to have him around right now)
    LF Dunn (God I miss him)
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce

1 Bailey
    2 Harang
    3 Arroyo
    4 Cueto
    5 Wood
    Closer Sean Watson

This is interesting because it is pretty close to our lineup. In 2007, most of these guys were prospects, now we have them with the big club as projected. Obviously, Watson didn't pan out but still could rise to help in some fashion in the bullpen one day. Bailey isn't quite the ace yet, but he could very well get there. And notice their thoughts on Wood back then. Not bad...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am still pretty high on Travis Wood. Maybe not as much as I was a couple of seasons ago, but his changeup still is filthy. Maybe he doesn't pan out as a starter, but with that pitch, he could be a very key part of our bullpen in a few seasons.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I would rather see Wood dominate this spring more than anyone else in competition for the fifth spot. Maloney has had his shot and I still he he becomes decent, but I see Wood as having an actual future for this team.

MLB ERA

Trade Alonso to the M's since you guys have Votto. Have always wanted a masher like Yonder at 1B/DH, hoping Poythress can be that guy for us.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Who would you give in return? The Reds might be planning on moving Votto to LF and keeping Alonso for 1B. So, it wouldn't be a give away.

Look at the Matt LaPorta and change for CC Sabathia deal for reference as to where the Reds should go with this if they had the idea to make a trade.