Thread: hypothesis; maybe?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

hypothesis; maybe?

We hear it all the time. Sometimes it starts to get a little annoying because you want to hear other things. But every time Dunn walks into a new ballpark, the announcers of the opposing team love to talk about how big he is. But does his build play a big time part in his biggest weakness? I hate to be the bearer of bad thinking, and I really hate to bring up the fact that Dunn strikes out. But could it be because his strike zone is too big. Could he have so many holes in his swing because he has so much room to cover?

Rickey Henderson was a premier leadoff hitter because he got on base better than anyone. Was it because he stood at the plate with such a low crouch? Just some thoughts that came into my head.

No, I am not trying to fix Dunn as I also think he is doing a great job. There is no reason on Earth to complain about what Dunn does at the plate. He already has a nice .OBP because he still gets BB on account of his ability to kill a baseball. And we all know what tampering with his swing can do. But just think about this for a moment if you have not already. Because I am, and I do not know what to do with it. So there it is, a gift to you all. Time to pick your minds and toy with this for a moment.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really don't believe Dunn's size works to his disadvantage in that regard. A bigger body just means you have longer arms to cover that strike zone with. He is a power hitter and he will strike out. What does work to his disadvantage in the fact that he is so tall he often gets the low strike unfairly called on him resulting in a strike 3. Umps aren't used to seeing that kind of size at bat and often times what they call a strike might very well be one for 95% of the league but not for Dunn.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Interesting. I see that his size and his good eye could be a factor in his weakness. He knows what is a ball and what is not and is what you could call a picky hitter. Very choice in what he wants to swing at. But there are so many places that a pitcher can put a ball in his strike zone that makes it difficult for him to be able to master them all. Is it something that will get better over time? Or is it really not a concern at all?

did anyone see that ridiulous strike called on him last night? 3-2 pitch was at the ankles and ump calls it strike 3. narron was pissed.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I may not have seen that one. But I have seen many like that one.