Thread: Brandon Webb for 2011?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Brandon Webb for 2011?

"Obviously you want to see what's out there and do the best deal you can for yourself and your family. That's probably No. 1. We've had a great time in Arizona, and if everything works out and we stay here, that would be good. But to get back close to home [in Kentucky] would be just as good. I'm definitely keeping it open. I'm not going to hold myself down to just Arizona."

Awesome!

I am incredibly intrigued. I always wished that someone like Webb or Youkilis would pull a Griffey on us. Hoping their sucess would be greater in a Reds uniform of course. But this is astonishing. Webb's sinker would be awesome at GABP.

Harang, Cordero and Arroyo coming off the books next year means we can likely afford him. Hopefully he shows that he can still pitch this year, but doesn't play himself out of the Reds' affordability.

AAA ERA

Re: Brandon Webb for 2011?

Wow! Getting Webb in GABP would indeed be something else. I don't remember the last time we have really had a "dominant" pitcher such as Webb could possibly be for us.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Imagine if he does come over and even two of Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Chapman, or Leake prove to reach their ceiling! Too much for me to handle!

AAA ERA

Yea, and IF Jocketty can get some bats, I would say we would easily be at the top of the Central, where we belong.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The thing we have to remember, ignoring the fact that Webb could be a risk, is that even if Harang and Arroyo leave or are traded, we will still have other salary increases to worry about. Our young guys hitting arbitration, Chapman's rising salary, etc. It might be financially possible to get Webb, but the Reds might have to trade some talent who will start making some big bucks to do it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Excellent point mission. Makes you wonder just how much of the young talent will ne a part of the future. Do we have internal replacements which would give us the option to trade the more expensive player? In some cases we do. But that isn't always the best answer due to the unknown with whether or not prospects can live up to their talent. These are going to be interesting debates later down the road.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie ERA

God I hope Webb never makes his way to the NL Central unless its with the Cubs.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941