Thread: Rolen signs extension through 2012

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Rolen signs extension through 2012

I guess his salary is being reduced to 6M in 2010 in exchange for 2 more years.

Tweets:

I am not sure what to think about on this. Frazier or Francisco definitely are not in the plans for 3B though. I want the total money expended on this deal.

Also, it is intriguing to see the Reds cut some more payroll for this year. Could it be of help for another move?

Re: Rolen signs extension through 2012

Absolutely great move for the Reds. Rolen is just amazing defensively, and still a decent hitter, although no longer a force.

Really makes the whole Rolen/E5 trade last summer make much more sense. Obviously Rolen likes Cincy and wanted to stay. Reds fans should be ecstatic imho.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I'm happy to see him be very helpful in salary concerns this year. I love his defense and he still can hit. I just worry about his health. Either way, it is good to know we have a 3B locked up for what should be a good value (knowing he took on less money this year).

MLB ERA

Reds Re: Rolen signs extension through 2012

Ask me about this after July 31. This could be a nice move and this could go Eric Milton-esquely wrong. Plus wheres this leave Francisco and Frazier?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This signals to me that we will have some prospects departing the station in Cincinnati for, let's pray to God, a shortstop.

I am actually happy with this move. If he puts above replacement numbers while playing a decent number of games and great defense, this contract will be worth it, no doubt. The last year is a little bit of concern, but Rolen gave the Reds a reasonable deal.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I also think this makes Francisco and Frazier expendable. If not Frazier, then Valaika could be dealt and Frazier could stick at 2B in the future.

Money has been saved for this year through this reconstruction and spects have lost room for playing time with the big club. Something could very well be in the works.

MLB ERA

Actually ask me again shortly before Spring Training starts how I feel about this. Then review after the June draft.

Judging on what the Reds do after this my reaction will probably be:

1 Hate it, as the Reds used this deal to get to their "targeted budget" for the 2010 season and add nothing else.

2 Love it because we bring in significant talent at SS or LF to fill a hole.

3 Dispise it, as Rolen's back goes out on him and we're stuck iwth a near worthless infielder who cant hit or field any more.

Still absolutely dispise the trade. Young pitchers are as good as gold in this market and we simply "gave in" to Toronto when we should have been the ones calling the shots with ALL leverage.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I hate the trade as well. Especially since we have minor league talent on the cusp of breaking into the big leagues. Losing Stewart and Roenicke just really set our system back though.

But we have to look at this extension as something completely seperate. I am glad Rolen is a Red. I am not happy about how Jocketty got him here, but I am still happy to have him.

MLB ERA

An excellent trade made even more spectacular. Vintage Jocketty here.

He is slow and steady but doesn't bounce back-and-forth between stances on how to handle the team like Krivsky did.

If only he had a little extra money to spend from Castellini, he'd probably make more Cardinals-like moves than to this point.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    An excellent trade made even more spectacular. Vintage Jocketty here.

He is slow and steady but doesn't bounce back-and-forth between stances on how to handle the team like Krivsky did.

If only he had a little extra money to spend from Castellini, he'd probably make more Cardinals-like moves than to this point.
    I wish I had the faith in him as you do. But I cannot trust a guy with the circle of friends he has (mainly Bavasi) trading our arguably best pitcher not to see the majors yet for an aging expensive 3b, signing Willy Tavares AT ALL, Signing Brad Lincoln to a 2 yr deal keeps me skeptical. Albert Pujols and Dave Duncan arent walking through that door to take a very average team and making them contenders every year.

Even if the "floor" is the extent of Stewart's value we would have someone who could step up with Mallet in the pen in the post CoCo, Weathers, and Rhodes pen. Pitching is what the makes MLB go around now, we gave away our best possible trading chip for a guy whos brought in as much for his "leadership" as his play the past couple years.

The Reds had a straight flush and folded to the Jays with a pair of 6s.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels