Thread: Gomes non-tendered

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Gomes non-tendered

Unbelievable! Dude wouldn't have broke the bank and yet they don't get him. Just how broke is this team?

.875 OPS and we didn't get him. Unreal.

Re: Gomes non-tendered

I feel for Reds fans.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Seriously, this team is unreal. Why pay for someone who had a good year last season when you can pay Willy Taveras 4.25 million next season. Its not like Gomes has an OPS of near .900 over his career against lefties. We certainly couldn't use that.

...and why add a $14M Scott Rolen last year when its going to make you cut costs elsewhere?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Jocketty speaks:

“I told Jonny last night that we’d like to make it work and we’ll try to do that,” Jocketty said. “We just didn’t want to be locked in with arbitration.”

Jocketty continues to talk with Laynce Nix’s agent as well.

“We’re pretty close to getting something done on that,” Jocketty said.

He said he was intrigued by some of the other club’s nontenders.

“I don’t want to mention names yet,”
    He probably isn't looking at anything special. And whatever he is looking at. it will most definitely end with the Reds unable to afford the guy. But that is the latest...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Gomes is a guy who I certainly wouldn't want to overpay for, as we have done with similar players in the past (not in skill set, but having a bounce back year.) However, I would certainly like a reasonable one year deal with a team option to be offered.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Gomes is a guy who I certainly wouldn't want to overpay for, as we have done with similar players in the past (not in skill set, but having a bounce back year.) However, I would certainly like a reasonable one year deal with a team option to be offered.
    Gomes is a lot younger and has a lot better history than some of the others mentioned. I just love how this franchise is being run.

Keep the guy(s) you gave 2 year contracts to unneccessarily who are a complete waste on the 25 and 40 man roster.

Non-tender the guy who actually produced for the Reds. Great logic there.

Would be nice to see the Reds in the running with someone of the caliber to be more than average major leaguer. But if history is any indication we'll get the same "throw crap at the wall and pray fa" we always get.

I miss Krivsky, he misfired on some deals and made as best he could with a crappy system trying to give the Reds a chance. But he knew how to work assets and get something for them. And knew what stones to turn up to find the diamonds.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds like a decision will be made by tomorrow on Gomes and the Reds. Its all over twiter right now.

Anyone think he is the better candidate for LF than Balentein or Dickerson? I think he had a pretty solid season last year and would like to see him plugged in as the everyday LFer with Dickerson getting a spot start every once and a while.

So I am all for Gomes coming back. And we know it will be at a good price, don't we? I keep hearing minor league deal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If it's at a minor league deal, or not much more, the Reds would be flat out brain-dead to not bring him back to murder lefties and at the very least, be a great pinch-hit option.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gomes vs Dickerson? If both had a very solid spring, who would you put up as your everyday LF?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gomes did end up signing today to a major league deal with an option for 2011. I am not sure about the dollar amount or what type of option it is. I would much rather see him get a minor league deal, but evidently tjis is what he was holding out for. Hopefully he lives up to it.

Also, Volquez was moved to the 60 DL to make room for Gomes.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

#

Sounds like it is a club option for 2011. That is good news!