Thread: Whole lotta nothin'

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Whole lotta nothin'

This has got to be the least exciting winter meetings I have seen for Reds fans in quite a while. But is it for the best?

I would commend Jocketty for sticking with his guns and not trading away our youth. But one thing keeps us all wondering. Why is Rolen here? No doubt, when healthy he is likely our second best stick in the lineup. But trading away a guy like Stewart and taking on payroll simply doesn't look like a move for the future.

True, Rolen will be a fan favorite and I too will love watching him hold down the hot corner. Nevertheless, I am torn. I just don't know whether this team will contend anythime soon and dumping players with high ceilings are usually a backwards move. Unless it was for someone to help you win now.

Which gets me back on topic. If this winter prooves that we are only looking for guys like Carroll to upgrade the bench, we are definitely not contending this year.

Jocketty and Dusty are doing their best to market this team. They are telling the truth; they are not looking for a big splash to come in. So how do they convince us that they can compete?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Whole lotta nothin'

Then we have ole leatherpants...

Reds pursuing Tejada and Cabrera for SS but price has to come down and it will
    This guy all of a sudden thinks he is an MLB insider. More like and MLB joke. I hear he is doing a good job on XM. But he is a clown in my opinion. The Reds have been so honest as to come out and say that we do not have money this offseason.
    Of course they are interested in those guys. And of course the price is not right. Shouldn't be even mentioned.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Honestly, it makes me happy to know that Leatherpants still has his foot in the door, somewhere.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Latest from Mr Jocketty...

So something could be boiling on the trade front. Sounds like it isn't likely to happen, but we'll know by the weekend. Great, now I am left wondering what it could be. By Monday, I will be wondering what it could have been.

MLB ERA

I still believe Jocketty knows what he's doing with this roster. He's building a sustained winner and this year should be the beginnings, even if they don't make the playoffs.

No outlandish contracts like Krivsky, no dumb trades like Bowden but just some careful tinkering around the edges for now. I think this process would be moving a lost faster if Castellini had been more truthful about his desire to win. He certainly doesn't exemplify the phrase "put your money where your mouth is."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

I see the Reds, and I just don't see that much talent. What makes up this teams core?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Reds are like any recent Reds team that could be good, could being the key word. The problem is their potential to be good relies on players either developing or bouncing back (Bruce namely, Stubbs, etc) or players coming back from injury without losing a step (Volquez namely.) And yet another problem is that some of their better talent is either older (Rolen, Rhodes) or has a contract that might tempt the Reds to dump them in order to pay for all the salary increases Krivsky wanted the Reds to get hit with this season.

If the Reds want to compete, they need to make moves but I don't believe we have the depth at any level of our system to make the moves neccessary to win without destroying our average farm system.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Latest from Mr Jocketty...

YouTube- Walt Jocketty on Winter Meetings 12.10.9

So something could be boiling on the trade front. Sounds like it isn't likely to happen, but we'll know by the weekend. Great, now I am left wondering what it could be. By Monday, I will be wondering what it could have been.
    Guess it didn't and will not be happening. Whatever it was.

New stuff from Walt is posted in the Gomes thread though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This guy all of a sudden thinks he is an MLB insider. More like and MLB joke. I hear he is doing a good job on XM. But he is a clown in my opinion. The Reds have been so honest as to come out and say that we do not have money this offseason.
    Of course they are interested in those guys. And of course the price is not right. Shouldn't be even mentioned.
    The price isn't right for 29 other teams. And most of them are smart enough to not want Tejada as their SS (1B, DH, maybe.. maybe 3B, sure but not SS)
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've listened to Bowden on Fox Sports radio, and I agree, he strikes me as a wannabe know-it-all sellout who is just gunning to be the next Steve Phillips, only without a personality for the media to give a damn. When he criticizes his former peers, I'm thinking, Whatever, dude. You were a flop as GM for two MLB teams and you couldn't catch on with another team as an adviser or senior scout. Ned Colletti would eat your lunch.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Apparently he had this right though. I said he reported that the Reds were interested in Tejada or Cabrera. Well, we did get Cabrera afterall. Maybe he does have some respectability in MLB still. I think I was just upset based on the difference between what Jocketty was saying about this offseason and what was being reported.

Usually when discussing offseason and trade deadline moves, the media can be trusted more than the GM. The GM has his reasons to keep things quiet as he does not want another team to swoop in and make a better offer. Especially when he has a steal in the works. And the media want nothing more than to be the first to leak the story.

Most of the time, the GM is simply lying and the media rumors have to be picked through with a fine toothed comb.