Thread: Rays and Reds interested in Cruz

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rangers Rays and Reds interested in Cruz

The Rays and Reds are among the teams that have asked the Rangers about Nelson Cruz, but Texas remains reluctant to trade the slugging outfielder, a major league source said Sunday.

In theory, the Rangers could enter the season with the outfield/DH rotation they currently have: David Murphy, Julio Borbon, Josh Hamilton and Cruz.
    Latest buzz from the MLB offseason - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

I can't see the Rangers parting with Cruz unless we really gave up a chip. Of course there were a few of us really wanting our management to pursue Cruz, who once was looking an outsider looking in as a 26 year old AAA'er.

Oh well...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Rays and Reds interested in Cruz

Aren't the Rangers going after a bat like Vlad or something like that? Perhaps they are looking at a surplus if they get a Vlad or Dye and they don't want the logjam.

I don't see this playing out unless the Rangers get close to signing one of those guys. In which case, I welcome the heck out of it. Dude comes cheap.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I take it that Texas isn't bringing back Byrd. I don't think they should trade Cruz unless they're getting a good pitcher. Borbon was a nice flash in the pan, but what he did was in such a small sample size. As good as Hamilton is, you cannot depend on him staying healthy and Murphy is a slow starter.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Perhaps you are right man. I forgot about Byrd's departure. And Vlad or Dye would be more of a DH type than an outfielder anymore. Good point.

MLB ERA

I don't think Byrd is completely gone yet. The Rangers want Byrd to stay and he wants to stay. It's just a matter of Texas offering him what he thinks he is worth and a multi-year contract. He already declined the Rangers arbitration offer. I really hope they can resign him, but I don't expect them to.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Well this rumor would spice up a bit if he does sign. I like the thought of it, so more power to Byrd hooking back up in Texas.