Thread: 40 man movement

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds 40 man movement

Lots of happenings since yesterday.

* Tatum claimed by the O's.

* Lance Nix refused an outright assignment and opted for free agency.

* 40 man roster additions include: (Del Rosario, Heisey, Ondrusek, Smith, Valaika, Valliquette and Travis Wood).

* Darryl Thompson was outrighted to Louisville.

This means that Dorn and Sean Watson are available on the Ruld V Draft as they were not protected. I think I will miss the thought of having Dorn as a backup outfielder. I liked him since I watched him play with another ex-Red's system player named Justin Turner in the CWS. They were both pretty fun to watch for Cal State Fullerton. And Dorn has shown that he can really hit. Especially against lefties. I see someone picking him up for sure.
    Watson on the other hand was a second round pick out of Tennessee if I recall correctly. And he was instantly touted as a decent closer option. Yet his attitude and poor care of his body may have him in bad graces with the Reds FO. (Just my opinion).

Anyhow, very good to see those other guys protected.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 40 man movement

Supposedly the Reds are entertaining bringing back Nix but I am not sure how likely that it is as Nix probably would like to catch on somewhere that would provide him more guaranteed AB's.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I like Nix, I just don't see how he can fit anymore. We have serious depth in LF right now. Not that we have talent, but its as if we have the same number of LFers on this team as there were LFers playing next to Griffey during his tenure in Seattle.

With the possibility of calling up some youth; I admit a few of these could still be a long shot. But they are likely being considered nonetheless.

Heisey, Gomes, Dickerson, Frazier, Alonso/Votto, Francisco. This team has some serious depth in that department. Yet they have options as well. As far as keeping Frazier, Francisco, and Alonso down in AAA; that would shrink us down to half. This is what I think the team will be doing come April. We still could have Heisey play in AAA as well. But expect to see him and Gomes splitting time there with Dickerson catching on a bit more in CF with Stubbs.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree Nix just doesn't make sense and defensive liability or not, Gomes showed that he would bring more to the table in his role as a platoon hitter. I can only see Nix back if Gomes leaves.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gomes hit 20 bombs in 98 games this year. He only commited 2 errors. He may not have the range, but he is clearly better than Nix. And I can't fail to mention that Gomes is an amazing clubhouse guy. I wouldn't mind keeping him around if nobody else is coming in.

Then again, I want someone else coming in.