Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ortiz confident about start

Ortiz confident about start
    Reds notebook: Right-hander will throw on just two days' rest today

By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

If Ramon Ortiz felt up to it, the Reds wanted him to start the second game of today's doubleheader against the Astros.

"When they asked me (Thursday), I was very happy," Ortiz said. "I love to pitch in the games. And I feel good."

The Reds right-hander will be working on just two days' rest when he starts against Houston's Ezequiel Astacio in Game 2, which is a makeup for Thursday's tie game called after seven innings because of weather.

Under normal circumstances, Ortiz would have thrown a bullpen session Friday because he started against the Cardinals on Wednesday. He threw 57 pitches and didn't make it through the third inning.

"My arm is good," Ortiz said. "Everything is else is good. ... I'm going to feel great."

Triple-A Louisville pitcher Elizardo Ramirez might have been considered to start Game 2 rather than Ortiz, but he also started a game Wednesday. Ramirez threw six innings against Rochester.

"Ortiz was our first option, really, if he felt like it," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

Reds right-hander Aaron Harang and Astros left-hander Wandy Rodriguez already were scheduled to pitch today, so they will start Game 1. The doubleheader starts at 4:10 p.m.; stadium gates open one hour before that.

Only tickets and parking passes to today's originally scheduled game will be accepted.
    Click here for the rest

Im glad Ortiz is confident in himself today. Im sure he is the only one though...besides the Astros hitters.

Would have rather seen Ramirez start though.

AA ERA
    i think Ortiz is a good pick up for us. If he didnt have confidence then we are screwed again.. BTW whats wrong with Hudson?? i've been away for a day or so do they know. he pitched very bad last night just was wondering if the unjury is nagging him again.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have not heard that Hudson's injury is for sure nagging him. But just because it has not been reported, doesn't mean it isn't true. Especially with the way this team hides injuries (Wilson). I think it is just that Hudson is getting back into the swing of things.