Thread: Could Dusty be let go this offseason?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Could Dusty be let go this offseason?

Dusty Baker may not be as safe in Cincinnati as the Reds' strong finish would suggest. Owner Bob Castellini reportedly has his eye on the Cardinals tandem of manager Tony La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan. ... Another former Cubs manager, Don Baylor, is being mentioned as a candidate for the vacancy in Houston, but general manager Ed Wade is trying to sell Jim Fregosi to owner Drayton McLane. ...
    Rogers' MLB whispers: Is Dusty Baker's job safe in Cincinnati? -- chicagotribune.com

I don't see it to be honest. This season did not live up to the hype, but even the greatest manager would have likely produced a loser or (a fledgling .500 team) with the kind of injury hits and bad luck that this club saw. Plus, we know how tight the payroll already is and bringing in LaRussa and Duncan would take away any available flexibility the Reds would have this offseason in signing additional talent.

Seems more like speculation than actual rumor. Thoughts?

Re: Could Dusty be let go this offseason?

I wish we could just get Duncan on the staff. I'm not exactly the biggest La Russa fan, so I'd rather see them go elsewhere with the managerial spot. Unless of course it is necessary to get Duncan. I wonder how the pine tar incident plays into all of this?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This season had hype?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yea, I don't think the manager would have made a huge difference this year. Replace him if you must, but you may as well bring in a younger/unknown coach for the long-term instead of another big name expecting a playoff birth out of him.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This season had hype?
    A healthy rotation of Volquez, Cueto, Harang, and Arroyo sounded promising. And those drinking the improved fielding and addition of Tavarez and Gonzales koolaid were even more excited. Heck, even legit sports publications listed the Reds as a possible darkhorse.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I expected an improvement but nothing in terms of contention. I predicted a 3rd place finish and they got a 4th place finish and that was only three games or so behind the Brewers. I'd say they did as expected but that's just me.

MLB ERA

Sadly Duhhhsty will be back next season, they wouldnt have renewed all the coaches already if there was any doubts. Yes injuries did not help, but Duhhhsty tied an additional anchor to this team with his incessiant use of Willy T as leadoff (until he got hurt), hitting (insert light hitting SS) 2nd regardless of lack of on base ability, and playing Darnell McDonald at all. This team was in a nose dive until Stubbs started playing CF for Taveras and Homer turne a corner. It took injury to get Taveras out of CF nothing Duhhhsty "learned".
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes