Thread: DePodesta is believed to have his eyes on Red slugger Dunn...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

DePodesta is believed to have his eyes on Red slugger Dunn...

Moneyball Still Might Be a Factor
    # DePodesta is believed to have his eyes on Red slugger Dunn, but it is unknown how much McCourt will let his GM spend to improve the Dodgers.

By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer

Taking a page from the Jerry Buss ownership manual, Frank McCourt was vacationing in Cape Cod recently while his Dodgers were sinking like a leaky schooner in the National League West.

Yet any suggestion that McCourt has written off the season and instructed General Manager Paul DePodesta to pull in the sails and ignore the trade winds is strongly disputed.

"No way," DePodesta said. "It's the opposite. He wants to improve the club."

The Dodgers are trying to reel in a power hitter "earlier rather than later," but haven't found a willing partner.

DePodesta is believed to have targeted Adam Dunn, the Cincinnati Red outfielder-first baseman. However, Red General Manager Dan O'Brien and interim Manager Jerry Narron want to wait until after the All-Star break before unloading players.

Dunn, 25, is fourth in the league with 20 home runs and is batting .243 with a .384 on-base percentage. He hit 46 homers last season and is a relative bargain. He avoided arbitration by signing a one-year, $4.6-million contract and will be arbitration eligible next year too.

Other available players who fit Dodger needs and McCourt's budget include outfielders Aubrey Huff of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Carl Everett of the Chicago White Sox.

Huff, who makes $4.9 million, is batting .252 with only five home runs after batting .307 with 86 homers the last three seasons. Everett, who makes $4 million, is batting .269 with 12 home runs.

More expensive possibilities include Hideki Matsui of the New York Yankees ($8 million), Matt Lawton of the Pittsburgh Pirates ($7.8 million), Sean Casey of the Reds ($7.8 million) and Preston Wilson of the Colorado Rockies ($12.5 million).

How much McCourt is willing to spend is an open question.

The Dodgers should have about $12 million to spend if McCourt is to be taken at his word. He promised a $100-million payroll and currently the figure is about $88 million, which includes $10 million the Dodgers are paying Shawn Green and about $7 million owed injured pitcher Darren Dreifort that won't be recouped through insurance.

The Dodgers are willing to prune prospects from their talent-rich farm system because they would be unable to protect them all in the November Rule 5 draft. Better to get value now in a trade than get nothing for them later, they reason.

DePodesta proved he is willing to part with a top prospect last year when he traded Franklin Gutierrez, the best outfielder in the farm system, to acquire Milton Bradley from the Cleveland Indians.

Now it is Bradley's lingering injury that is prompting the need for another slugging outfielder. He sat out all of June because of a torn ligament in the ring finger of his right hand and there is no timetable for his return.

Dunn would be a good fit because he could join J.D. Drew and Jayson Werth in the outfield until Bradley returns, and could play first base during Hee-Seop Choi's dry spells.

There has been talk that the Dodgers would acquire Red third baseman Joe Randa, but that is unlikely because DePodesta chose to sign Jose Valentin instead of Randa during the off-season.

Valentin is due to come off the disabled list in August and Antonio Perez has been an adequate third baseman and the team's most consistent hitter for average.

DePodesta's sense of urgency was triggered by the recent eight-game losing streak.

He believes the players are giving maximum effort and he wants to show them that he is doing all he can to improve the roster.

"It's easy to be proud of our guys," he said. "They've played hard every night. It would be worse for me if I thought that wasn't the case."
    Click here for the article (registration required)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    IF DePodesta can pull a big trade and acquire Adam Dunn, he would prove to us that he is the right GM for our team. The previous GMs have done nothing to improve our team when it was trying to make the playoffs. With the past GMs trading for the likes of Tyler Houston, Jeromy Burnitz, and Tom Goodwin when it badly needed a bat in the middle of the order, DePodesta has an opportunity to acquire that hitter in Dunn. Dodger fans can only hope McCourt keeps his word and continue to spend the money to improve the team. So far, McCourt has proven many fans wrong when he signed Kent, Drew, and Lowe in the offseason and re-signed Penny. Granted, he didn't sign Beltre, but many fans thought McCourt wouldn't spend a dime in the offseason. Unlike former GM Dan Evans, DePodesta isn't afraid to trade prospects for immediate help. If it takes someone like Chad Billingsley to meet the Reds' demands for Dunn, so be it.

MLB ERA
    O'Brien really scares me. He makes it sound like he isn't dealing Dunn right NOW, but also sounds like he might be interested in dealing him before the deadline.

Although I don't think DePodesta is the best GM in the world, I think he is the type that would totally rip apart someone like O'Brien in a deal.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So Dunn, Casey, and Randa were all mentioned in this article. Randa is said to be excused from the Dodgers plans now as they have 3B locked up for now. Dunn would be a fine fit for them as I would bet that he is number 1 on their list. If that is the case, we have to realize that we would not get any pitcher that is proven for him. They are trying to win now and hope that Dunn will give them the extra push. So, they definitely would not trade something that would defeat the whole purpose. They will try and keep their present team in tact with trading prospects to get Dunn.

realmofotalk mentioned Billingsley. I think I would go with Broxton and Hull as well. Give us 2 of those guys and I would be happy with a Casey trade. But not Dunn. I really do not think I would be happy with trading Dunn for prospects unless it were the most amazing pitchers that has a guarantee on his arm that says "I am an ace."

hee seop choi is better than Casey so why would they want case?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Choi is not better than Casey. But DePodesta more than likely won't trade 3 top prospects for Casey, either.

casey gets on more than choi but choi has a much higher slg%

i wouldnt give up a lot more casey with choi already on the team

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Choi has a .237 AVG.
    Casey has a .313 AVG.

That alone makes Casey a much better player. Choi just hits more HR.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Choi is not better than Casey. But DePodesta more than likely won't trade 3 top prospects for Casey, either.

I said 2 out of those 3 would be fine for Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Choi has a .237 AVG.
    Casey has a .313 AVG.

batting average means nothing to me

choi has a slightly higher ops

casey 4.74 rc/27
    choi 4.98

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    BA means a lot when it almost a .100 differential. I really do not think it is close between Choi and Casey. But I do see what you are saying in that they may not really need a 1B as much as they need an outfielder with Bradley out.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Unless we're paying a big chunk of salary, I doubt any GM could get two top prospects for Casey. For the price he just isnt worth it (at least this season.) Even then with DePodesta it is doubtful.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Twins

Choi hit 3 homers against the Twins a couple weeks back against Brad " all I do is give up Home Runs" Radke. So you really cant use the who has more home runs, but i would look at batting average and rbi and slugging%.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Choi has a .237 AVG.
    Casey has a .313 AVG.

And, if he's faster than Casey, then I would take Choi. With another power hitter that has any sort of speed, you can do a lot more with your lineup. Casey has been reduced to a fat, single-hitting hitter who isn't worthy of hitting above the #6 slot. What's Choi's salary look like?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Choi is by no means a speed demon but he is faster than Casey. As for his salary, about 7 mil and then some less than Casey's, I am not for sure if he is eligible for arbitration yet.