Thread: Dunn staying put - for now

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn staying put - for now

Dunn staying put - for now

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

Talk about a way to get the old rumor rolling.

Thursday, the day the Sporting News runs a story saying the Reds are trying to trade left fielder Adam Dunn, almost a dozen scouts show up at Great American Ball Park.

General manager Dan O'Brien said don't look for a press conference anytime soon.

When asked if the Reds are shopping Dunn, O'Brien said: "Negative."

He said, in fact, that the Reds aren't shopping anyone at the request of new manager Jerry Narron.

"Jerry and the coaches have asked for a few weeks to evaluate the players," O'Brien said. "We're going to honor that."

But it's safe to say the Reds likely will be in the trade market as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline approaches.

Dunn's name likely will come up because he's probably the best the Reds can put on the table. He's 25, already one of the game's top sluggers and he's making only $4.6 million this year.

But since he's eligible for arbitration, his salary is likely at least to double for 2006.

If the Reds aren't interested in signing him long term, they might be better off trading him.

Since the Reds are performing below expectations, there's a good chance their payroll will drop from this year's team record $61.8 million.

That would mean someone making big money - Dunn, Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr. or Eric Milton - may have to be traded to balance the budget.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...507010432/1071

i hope it's casey. I always thought that casey did a lot for team chemistry since he's such a good guy, but it seems clear to me that the good chemistry over the last few years has been due primarily to Larkin. Certainly things also haven't been this bad, but we've been losing all those years and somehow had what was considered a great clubhouse across the league.

Casey couldn't hold that together and i think that reduces his value. The lack of HRs also reduces his value, probably by a lot more. If we could get one good prospect for him i think i would make the deal, though it would be sad to see him go. Give that money to Dunn long term and move him or Junior to first (or maybe wily? i don't know i haven't really thought about it).
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford