Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunn Comments on lack of RBI

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I thought Lancaster knew a little more than this, but obviously not.

This article was one of his worst ever.
    i thought this artilce was spot on. Lancaster knows what he's doing, and Dunn and Chambliss agree with him.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    i don't understand what you are laughing out lout about. in april dunn hit .292 /.427 /.694 /1.121

Thats what he should be hitting imo. In april he got more hits which is what i want him to do.
    i said early april

check his stats from the first week and half

he was being aggresive and sucked

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    getting on base avoids outs.
    the 10 top teams in OPS have scored 3914 runs so far
    the 10 top teams in SLG have scored 3901 runs so far
    the 10 top teams in AVG have scored 3871 runs so far
    the 10 top teams in OBP have scored 3806 runs so far

The teams that are avoiding the most outs are not scoring the most runs. In fact, so far this year, it is considerably better to have a high team batting average than OBP.

OPS is still the best team predictor for runs scored, but it seems clear that most of that is from the slugging percentage, not the OBP. The teams that have the high SLGs score the most in general, and of those teams, the ones that get people on base the most do the very best. That's what OPS says to me looking at these numbers.

Slugging is related to hitting obviously, so if Adam dunn could keep his OPS the same by raising his slugging (getting more hits which for him are often extrabase hits) and reducing his OBP, he would be helping the team more.

The goal of the game is not to get as many men to the plate as possible, it is to score the most runs. The two are not the same, however many times you've read money ball.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    i thought this artilce was spot on. Lancaster knows what he's doing, and Dunn and Chambliss agree with him.
    I don't think it was spot on at all. And Dunn is a player. He doesn't know what's best for the team. Excellent lineup construction is part of the reason behind the Cards scoring so many runs. They know how to do things right. They would have had Dunn 2nd or 3rd (if they had the Reds roster) all season long.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    As you said, OPS has been the best predictor, and Dunn has indeed been beter than almost all players at getting "on base" "plus" aadding "slugging" to his repitoire.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    As you said, OPS has been the best predictor, and Dunn has indeed been beter than almost all players at getting "on base" "plus" adding "slugging" to his repitoire.
    You misssed the point of that post. OPS predicts runs just about as well as SLG does. All OPS is saying is "of the teams with the highest slugging, the ones that get guys on the most, score the most." SLG and OBP are clearly not equal parts of OPS, because OBP doesn't predict runs very well. OPS is really just a modifier of SLG, not an even addition of SLG and OBP.

So to argue that Dunn walking in RBI situations is just as good as getting a hit is incorrect. Avoiding outs isn't what the game is about. Dunn should concentrate on SLG first, and OBP second.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12