Thread: Reds' trading stance still undecided

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds' trading stance still undecided

Reds' trading stance still undecided
    GM O'Brien plans to test waters if situation dictates
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds will enter July in the sometimes-uncomfortable realm known as "status quo."

The baseball world is expecting the Reds to be open for business before the July 31 trading deadline, but the ever-meticulous Dan O'Brien isn't ready to put the signs out in the front yard just yet.

"Today, our intent is to go forward with the group of players we have on this roster," O'Brien said on June 21, the day he dismissed manager Dave Miley. "We have not achieved what we are capable of achieving."

But if the Reds continue to fall short of their GM's expectations, expect the fire sale to begin.

The Reds invested an extra $17 million into their payroll this year with the hope that it would boost them into contention in the NL Central.

That's a huge chunk of change for a small-market team, but O'Brien thought he had invested it wisely.

The results have proven otherwise to this point, and that's already led to some major roster shakeups in the first half of the season.

Second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez and closer Danny Graves were both designated for assignment, and the Reds are still paying the combined $9 million those two players were making this year.

In short, the Reds aren't getting much value for their dollar, and don't be surprised if they try to ship out some of those dollars for prospects that will help them rebuild a beleaguered farm system.

"We're going to continue to look at ways to improve the organization," O'Brien said. "If that involves further changes, then, yes, we'll consider it."
    Click here for the rest

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Does anyone else see the cheep side of things turning out. From what we have learned during DanO's, Allen's, and Lindner's ways of handling business, I see a little shadiness being in the works. I think it is possible that the organization is awaiting Kearns to get it together and bring him back up. Knowing that he has failed this year, and he has good potential, he will not catch high dollars in arbitration. Whereas Dunn would be entirely different. He will cost the organization some big money in arbitration if kept. I would not be surprised if Dunn was the first to be shopped because of this scenario.

Then you have to look at the organization as cheep once again. So, we couldn't expect Dunn to be traded for a proven starting pitcher. The reasoning for this would be that the pitcher, if proven, would make even more than Dunn would get through arbitration. I hate to be so negative, but none of us could put it past this horrible FO. With DanO and Allen still in office, I see it being a Dunn for 3 decent prospects type trade. I would not be happy with that.

MLB ERA
    And if they continued down the path of the past they will continue to lose revenue from people watching in the stadium and tv games. Lindner and company started to realize they were losing fans cause the team wasnt competitive, the problem came when O'Brien started gambling on guys just for the sake of signing them. They can get away with this if they are getting guys that should help the team improve beyond this year and want to see what the young guys do. But if they start just selling guys for nothing but money then they will see the fans leave again.

I cannot believe that the Reds FO hasnt realized this season is a loss its time to start to see what guys like Booker (Mercker or Weathers), Ed E (Randa), a renewed Kearns (Casey, Griffey or Dunn), Olemado (Aurilia), A.J. Zapp (Casey or someone like Cruz), Steven Kelley (maybe Ortiz), or give some of the guys at AA a taste after Sept, so when they are needed they arent overwhelmed.

*note (denotes someone who I would trade to make room on either the 25 or 40 man).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Larue C
    Valentin C
    Casey 1B
    Freel 2B/UTIL
    Bergolla 2B/INF
    Encarnacion 3B
    F. Lopez SS
    Machado SS/INF
    Pena LF
    Griffey CF
    Kearns RF
    Cruz OF
    Stratton OF

Harang SP
    Milton SP
    Wilson SP
    Claussen SP
    Hudson SP/LRP
    Hancock LRP
    Keisler RP
    Coffey RP
    Mercker RP
    Wagner SU

Traded:
    Dunn
    Weathers
    Randa
    Aurilia
    Graves
    Stone

Released:
    Weber
    Jiminez

Free Agency:
    Ortiz

With that chart, we are 2 short of the 25 man roster. What we would need is an ace and a closer. Those are 2 expensive and hard to get positions. With the guys being traded and DanO pulling the strings, I think we could possibly land the closer that we need. But the ace would call for more. With the freed up money from Jiminez and Graves after the season ends, we should be able to look at FA for that ace.

FA pitchers possibly available that would fit that role:
    Jason Schmidt
    AJ Burnett
    Woody Williams
    Esteban Loaiza

I am sure this has some holes in it, but what do you guys think?

MLB ERA
    I'd Trade Mercker also, #1 hes a lefty, #2 he throws strikes, #3 hes a lefty, #4 hes 37, #5 hes a lefty, #6 did i say hes a lefty that throws strikes? The fact hes a lefty and can be very good against them makes him more valuable to teams than everyone on your "traded" list besides Dunn and Randa.

If/when ESPN shows their list of possible FAs I'll probably put what I would do with Free Agency. But our top goals would be an ace, a closer, and depending on whos dealt and who stays (IE Dunn and Casey are both traded an upgrade at 1b).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guys, Mercker has a no trade clause and he wouldn't mind going to Atlanta.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Closers are typically very inconsistent and can be expensive through free agency. I think the reds need to develop a closer. I've read that Bubba Nelson is throwing a lot harder and getting saves in AA, why not give him a shot.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Jim Souhan reports the Minnesota Twins were interested in acquiring Cincinnati Reds 3B Joe Randa last week, but they've cooled on the idea and are looking elsewhere.

Dammit DanO! Pull it together! This was the easiest trade in the world to make. The twins have a ton of prospects, Joe Randa would become their best offensive player so they should be willing to deal some prospects, he's cheap, he's on a one year deal, and he plays the one position where we actually have someone who can back him up!

This is like prospects for free and DanO is status quo. I can't believe he thinks we're in this anymore.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford